• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How to properly cut in Flexi

Tony Vega

Ok, so I am new to the world of Flexi and AI but is there an easy way to configure Flexi to cut the logo that I have attached as just 1 piece? I' am doing this as a favor for a friend of mine. Currently it wants to cut black and white and I certainly do not want to have a multiple layer vinyl when all I want is to cut a piece of black. I was able to use the "minus back" in AI to eliminate the white layer along the bottom, but the upper portion of the logo is multiple layers. Please help, and thanks in advance. I have attached a PDF. I can't seem to understand how some people attach zip files or AI files.

Attachments

• Belle Logo.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 190
K

kevco

...or click "send all colors" under the advanced tab in the production mgr.

myronb

Kevco,
I'd never tried that, but it works great! I still like doing to compound just because that's the way I've like doing it!!:tongue:

WVB

If the Illustrator file is compounded then most likely it will do double cuts on the image. I believe you still have to ungroup/uncompound, delete the duplicate layers.

What I like to do is ungroup/uncompound. It should turn the whole image black. click the outter most part and delete. Then click in the same spot, you should see the whole image once again. Drag it over to the side. Now delete the parts from the first layer. Click on the image you dragged over and add color. Save the file, open/import to flexi a viola!

K

kevco

TVG said:
If the Illustrator file is compounded then most likely it will do double cuts on the image. I believe you still have to ungroup/uncompound, delete the duplicate layers.

What I like to do is ungroup/uncompound. It should turn the whole image black. click the outter most part and delete. Then click in the same spot, you should see the whole image once again. Drag it over to the side. Now delete the parts from the first layer. Click on the image you dragged over and add color. Save the file, open/import to flexi a viola!

This may be my ignorance showing but on this logo if it were compounded wouldn't the white area actually be transparent or "knocked out"? Even if not the only way it would cut twice is if the wording was on both layers, since he couldn't get it just sending black to the plotter I assumed the lettering cut lines were not there. Maybe someone could explain what the compound feature dose to me?

Tony Vega

Ok, so I thank everyone for their help. I havent been able to sit down at my computer with Flexi but I have done another PDF that has the colors separated to make it easier. I placed it on a gray background so the white is more visible. As you can see there is white lettering with black inlays followed by another white inlay. The multiple layers is what is getting confusing. I was easily able to remove the white lettering from the bottom portion of the logo simply becasue it was two layers. They gray background will simulate the subrate (my buddys truck) that I will place the decal on. Attached is the pdf.

Attachments

• Belle Logo 2.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 154

WVB

Ok so all you see in the name BELLE change to white. Then all you see on the bottom black change to all black. CTRL L for the plot screen/Advance tab/Uncheck send all colors. Cut out your white, then lay onto black. Cut out your black and then lay ontop of your vehicle. I hope I am clear with this.

gROUND cHUCK

Tony Vega said:
Ok, so I thank everyone for their help. I haven't been able to sit down at my computer with Flexi but I have done another PDF that has the colors separated to make it easier. I placed it on a gray background so the white is more visible. As you can see there is white lettering with black inlays followed by another white inlay. The multiple layers is what is getting confusing. I was easily able to remove the white lettering from the bottom portion of the logo simply because it was two layers. They gray background will simulate the substrate (my Buddy's truck) that I will place the decal on. Attached is the pdf.

If you want it to be only one color vinyl with the substrate showing through, select all and release compound/ungroup.
Then drag the black from your color palette and drop it on the selected area, making everything black.
Then make it a compound again and there it is.

TO MAKE ITEMS A COMPOUND, EVERY PART HAS TO BE THE SAME COLOR.

Hope this helps.............