• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how to re-cut vinyl with premask

bigben

I got a Summa vinyl cutter. I have over 400 numbers to cut. I was wondering if there is a way I could cut the job, apply premask and put it back in the vinyl cutter to use the flexcut function. I know it would work on a flatbed cutter, but was wondering if it could work with roll-to-roll machines.

Thanks. Ben

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Of course there is a way. What software?
Just do exactly what you said. Only change the tool in the middle.

bigben

Of course there is a way. What software?
Just do exactly what you said. Only change the tool in the middle.
My cutter is a summa D160R and I'm using the winplot software and illustrator. It seems doable, but with the premask, the material is very rigid and I think the cutter will not be able to cut the premask and the liner.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I'd be worried about the premask getting bunched up and not cutting. It just doesn't stick that well to the backing paper to hold in place while cutting. Maybe if you had a circular blade that rolled as it cut as opposed to the knife.

Dale D

I do it all the time with TransferRite Med Tack 1310 clear on my Summa T160 on small decals down to 1/8 inch small. A customer of mine uses it on car buttons, and wants me to leave transfer tape on as a mask for when he paints around the decal.
I use Flexisign leave it in the machine and send the job with 2 different cut contours. Hardest part was testing to find blade pressure. Once I got that, its not a big deal at all.