• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

how would i do this

John362

how would i out line letters on a seperate vynil in illustrator?
every time i try to offset path in outlines each letter seperatly and they are all overlaped

i have illustrator and a graphtec

vid

..... after you "Offset the Path" (and keeping your selection live or selected):

Open the PATHFINDER menu: Window > Pathfinder
Press the upper left shape mode button --- ADD
(This is similar to WELD in other software. However, in Illustrator
it's not quite fully welded. You'll still see the letters overlapping.
It's like this so that you can still edit the "shape" by using the
open/white arrow until you EXPAND the shape.)

If you are satisfied with the look or done editting, press the EXPAND button to the far right of the Pathfinder Menu. This will finish "WELDing" the selection.

Sounds like that's what you're looking to do, anyway.

Hope that helps.

editted to add

If the OUTLINE PATH is only doing one letter at a time, try converting the type to outlines --- With your type selected choose from the main menu > Type > CREATE OUTLINES. Then, proceed as above.

Last edited:

Replicator

VID,

Any suggestions on the best way to learn Illustrator, books, cds, etc . . .

Illustrator is a weak program for me, even though I consider myself very

proficient in photoshop . . . !

vid

VID,

Any suggestions on the best way to learn Illustrator, books, cds, etc . . .

Illustrator is a weak program for me, even though I consider myself very

proficient in photoshop . . . !

baaaaaaaaaaawaaaaaaahaaaaaaa... I started with Illustrator 88. (And no. That's not a version number. That's the year it was released.) Even considering the number of versions I've worked with since, I'm still learning how to use it from forums like this. My favorite linkmaster is Rick... I get lost in his referrals following links to links for tips. BobbyH posts some good tips here, too.

I had at one time found an Illustrator newsgroup/BBS that was frequented by Paul Asente --- He was the first name on the Illustrator splash screen listing the developers until version 10. He knew everything! Picked up most of the basic tricks there.

Best advice I ever got on how to use Illustrator, though, came from a graphic designer when I asked a similar question.
He said, "draw your design in pencil first, then jus' figger out how ta git it in the 'puter. Do that 'nuff times you'll learn how to use Illustrator." (paraphrased)

I don't know the best way to learn it other than to ask the questions, follow the links, and experiment...

petepaz

we got illustrator at version 6 i think and we got 2 hour of training and the rest was self taught
if you know photo shop you will pick up quick
it's just a matter of learning where the tools are