• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How would you tackle this partial wrap?

Neil

Hi all - I have the go ahead for 3 Toyota Hiace vans plus one Hilux ute/truck.
Part of the design is to wrap the top section plus the roof as per the design attached.
(I've blocked out the branding)

The vehicles will be outside all the time, so I'll be using solid color vinyl instead of printing.
(Oracal 970 RA cast wrapping vinyl). I've used this before and it works well for this type of install.

Looking at the design I'm trying to work up a best method to allow me to get the 2 layers of vinyl on.

I'm thinking I'll cut the black to shape - with say quarter inch bleed on top, put the black on first in place, then overlap the red onto the black.
But then I'd need to trim the red once it's in place. So I'm thinking putting knifeless tape in quarter inch on the black?
They are long curves and they go into recesses so not sure how well the tape would work for that?

Or maybe put masking tape along the edge of the black, then apply the red and use a knife to trim in quarter inch cutting through the red onto the masking tape, then remove the tape?

I could cut the black to shape on my large plotter, or make a template and hand cut each piece. Would probably put application paper on the black.
Don't reckon I could pre-cut the red as it may pull back a bit where it goes into the recesses leaving a gap.

Quite a few variables here. How would you tackle this odd 2 color shape with overlap??
Going around 8 sides and 4 roofs.

Attachments

• Wrap.jpg
    Wrap.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 121

Bly

I'd print it on Avery 1005 or the new 1105.
Plotter cut the curve or even hand cut on the bench.
Much quicker, and will last 3 years if installed properly.

Neil

I'd print it on Avery 1005 or the new 1105.
Plotter cut the curve or even hand cut on the bench.
Much quicker, and will last 3 years if installed properly.

Yeah I realised that a single printed graphic would be an easier install, but I already stressed to them that solid vinyl would hold up much better.
Being that a lot of it is facing up and they are going to be in the hot Tropical sun all day (Northern Territory AUS)

Bly

Check out the 1105 - they are giving 2 year horizontal warranty Oz wide.
You won't even get that on colour change films.

Neil

I already told them we won't be printing it.
I've had this particular Oracal vinyl out there on other vans for a few years now with no problems.
It's my call to go with it. But now I have to work out how!

I could fit the black to the red first, then cut the red/black edge to shape, then install as one piece...

S'N'S

Take some exact measurements and plot the black, then lay knifless tape in 5mm and overlap red... is the way Id do it too. I have never used Oracle, is the red slightly see thru as you may have a 5mm dark red where it overlaps the black, but there isn't any way round that.
The edge of the black will act as a guide to lay the knifless tape.

joelswork

Everything seems pretty straight forward until you mentioned the recesses in the overlap area. Knife less is great but I've never used it over recesses. Put the back on, work it into the channels, put the knifeless into the channels as well, then put the front pieces on, working into the channels, then pull the tape. Should work but don't bridge the channels with the tape...too loosey goosey