• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 26500 Media Doesnt Exist?? WTF?!

mattready

I have a year-old-ish 26500 and a old Wasatch RIP. It has been a beast of a production machine...absolutely love it. Now it is saying "ERROR: The media type in the current imaging config no longer exists on the printer. Please select a new media type in the printer's configuration page."

II am using the same old print profile I have always used. It even matches the media type to the printer (Self-Adhesive)

If i reload the material, it doesn't fix it.
If i change to another RIP profile, it doesn't go away
I completely uninstalled and re-installed Wasatch, it didn't go away.
Reboot the printer from dead, it doesn't go away.

Now here is something that DOES works...kind of. If i use my web browser and log into the printers built-in portal page it shows me the media type and everything is good. If i upload the firmware again, I can get 1 print with no error, but any other prints after do not work and error.

Seems to me the printer is corrupting the firmware after a print? Anyone experienced this? Uploading the firmware after every print is retarded. Any suggestions?

:banghead:

It sounds like the hard drive in the printer might be getting flaky. If it's still under warranty, I would give HP a call.

mattready

Ok, so HP has been absolutely no help. BUT...I think I have fixed it. Here is what I did to get her back up and running...

1) on the printer go to the menu for MAINTENANCE -> FILE SYSTEM CHECK...this will repair disk errors on the internal hard-drive.
2) on your PC/RIP find your configurations and any files you want to keep and back them up onto a thumb-drive or server.
3) reinstall windows.....yeah....sucks but i think this is the issue.
4) windows update and driver updates
5) reinstall RIP software...in my case Wasatch
6) overwrite your new "CONFIGURATIONS" folder...which should be empty anyways....with your backed-up configurations.
7) reinstall the HP firmware using web-browser/internal webpage. You can access this by putting in the IP address of the printer into your browser's address bar.

fire up the printer and get back to production :)

RJ California

Thanks for posting this. May need it someday....
Was HP no help because you were out of warranty? They've been helpful when I have called - but I was under warranty at he time.

mattready

actually HP was very supportive an they had me talking with a Wasatch guru, but in the end what i got was "its because your RIP needs to be upgraded to the latest version for $3k" which is horses#&$t because i ran the machine for a year with no issues.

All in all, i think something corrupted in the software/RIP and a fresh Windows system rebuild and RIP install made things play nice once again.

k_graham

Make not 1 but 2 www.redobackup.org clones of your Windows system

actually HP was very supportive an they had me talking with a Wasatch guru, but in the end what i got was "its because your RIP needs to be upgraded to the latest version for $3k" which is horses#&$t because i ran the machine for a year with no issues.

All in all, i think something corrupted in the software/RIP and a fresh Windows system rebuild and RIP install made things play nice once again.

I prefer to keep 2 clone backup of my Computers and RIPs using free by donation www.redobackup.org , a before new software and after new software clone. Most only take an hour or 2 I leave one running at night after any upgrade, make sure you clean out the temp files and waste basket.

I use a hard drive docking station and 2 different SATA drives which each holds several computers operating system drives, but redo backup will also save to a network share if preferred.

The Restore only does partitions or disks to equal or larger size, it is not suitable for data file backups - for that use something else, for Windows I use WinRAR from RarLabs - good compression, and restores file attributes as saved.

One Caveat - the bootable CD method works great, but version 1.04 method of making a bootable USB drive is broken and not currently working, the solution in that case is to go to http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/ and install it which takes a minute, then select RedoBackup from its list of Linux operating systems that can be installed on a USB. If it still doesn't work you probably used WIFI instead of a hard wire and received a corrupted file .

2nd Caveat - it is extremely slow on Reiser file systems which are on Mirrored Linux and Unix systems - in that case I suggest restore via operating system disks. Simple test, see how long it takes for a backup - expect similar time for a restore.

Enjoy.

Ken