• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question HP 360 Profiling w/Caldera

dypinc

@dypinc

What do you mean by viewing light temperatures?

Viewing light temperatures I mean the light you looking at the print piece under. That why I suggested taking it outside.

@dypinc

The onboard profiling does ok I suppose but it doesn't seem to fix the grain as much as I'd like.

Since we don't really know if the ink splits are different with different pass setting, try 10 or 12 pass at 120% ink density, 8 or 10 for the optimizer.

I do have a question about onboard profiling with the 360, when I bring it into Caldera, and I create settings for 600 DPI instead of 300 DPI, should I have to re-linirealize or recreate the ICC profile? Or just use the files that were already created by the printer?

600 DPI or 300 DPI has to do with the RIPing resolution, I doubt you would see any color difference in the print. 300 dpi could show more apparent graininess depending what your looking at.

Sorry if you posted this as I didn't go back and read this thread. Have you done a printhead alignment, because some of what your complaining about could from miss-aligned printheads.

daenterpri

@dypinc

Ok, thank you for the clarification on the light :)

I'll try a profile with those settings. Thanks!

Regarding the print heads, I replaced a couple of them at the beginning of this process and then it does it's own head alignment at that time, doesn't it? I have also run the "Optimize Print Qualty" button a couple times and I believe it does a printhead alignment during that process as well, doesn't it?

Thanks again for the help!

daenterpri

How much is heat a factor in these profiles? I like the idea of not so much heat, but is there a point at which it messes up the profile even if it's drying?

dypinc

How much is heat a factor in these profiles? I like the idea of not so much heat, but is there a point at which it messes up the profile even if it's drying?

If the ink is cured very little. I find 220 to 230 is about right for SAV but your environment may differ.

FrankW

Doing the linearisation in the RIP doesn't make any sense, because it won't be applied. To adjust the density, the dithering needs to be varied ... but in a contone printer, the dithering will be created by the printer itself.

The only thing what makes sense to do it outside of the printer is the ICC Profile. I don't know how it works in caldera, but in Onyx you can choose to do only an ICC-Profile, in Flexi I set every ink limit value to 100%, and the density to linear.

dypinc

Doing the linearisation in the RIP doesn't make any sense, because it won't be applied.

Wrong! This is applied at RIP level. How do you think you can tell the RIP to print pure primaries and that is what the printer does. What you can't control is the lc/lm splits other then to turn off lc/lm.

When you push ink density to say 170% you need to be able to limit ink per channel or you will never achieve a good red and that is what linearization does. Could you attempt to put all that work on just the ICC-Profile? Yes but will you receive as good of a results. I don't think so.

Ink densities at 120% and below where you can calibrate on the printer I don't think you will gain much by linearization. But again that puts all the work on the ICC-Profile

There are also media setting on the printer that will not allow onboard calibration. RIP level linearization is highly desirable in that situation.

Correct Color

Doing the linearisation in the RIP doesn't make any sense, because it won't be applied.

Yes, it will.

Everything done in the RIP is done... in the RIP. So a linearization done in the RIP will be applied in the rasterization process by the RIP. The rasterized data is then sent to the printer as an rtl file, and true, in the case of the HP 300 series to its great detriment if you ask me, the printer applies another "calibration" to the rtl file before printing -- either a default or generated -- but that doesn't negate the value of a much-more-robust-than-the-wimpy-onboard-calibration-routine-can-muster linearization being applied to the data when RIPping.

dypinc

Yes, it will.

Everything done in the RIP is done... in the RIP. So a linearization done in the RIP will be applied in the rasterization process by the RIP. The rasterized data is then sent to the printer as an rtl file, and true, in the case of the HP 300 series to its great detriment if you ask me, the printer applies another "calibration" to the rtl file before printing -- either a default or generated -- but that doesn't negate the value of a much-more-robust-than-the-wimpy-onboard-calibration-routine-can-muster linearization being applied to the data when RIPping.

I think FrankW is confused once again.

Between Contone device addressed as RGB and Contone device addressed as CMYK.