• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 365 & Flexi Number of Copies

JamesLam

Hey sign makers,

I was running a job with a bunch of copies (repeats) and ran out of media part way. Other than pulling the roll apart and counting is there as way to confirm how many copies were actually printed? I don't see anything in either Flexi or Production Manager.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Nope...... Flexi is just sending bulk data to the printer. A printer does not report back to Flexi (or any other RIP) of exactly how far along it is in a print job only at most, that it has received or not received the data. In the times this has happened to us we just have to manually verify what was already printed.

JamesLam

Nope...... Flexi is just sending bulk data to the printer. A printer does not report back to Flexi (or any other RIP) of exactly how far along it is in a print job only at most, that it has received or not received the data. In the times this has happened to us we just have to manually verify what was already printed.
Yeah, I knew that, but one can hope I suppose. Thanks!

JBurton

Signtologist
You can verify consumed materials on the job though in the hp app, and estimate how many signs would land on that area. Onyx has the same problem, but at least it will poll data from the printer on the latest jobs and tell me how much was used. But then you'll turn around and count anyways because you don't trust the numbers, at least that's what I do.

JamesLam

You can verify consumed materials on the job though in the hp app, and estimate how many signs would land on that area. Onyx has the same problem, but at least it will poll data from the printer on the latest jobs and tell me how much was used. But then you'll turn around and count anyways because you don't trust the numbers, at least that's what I do.
Naught naught one...........................................naught naught twooooooo.....................................naught naught ?...................................Dangit. OK, naught naught one........................

Shred_signs

Lost Member
Need 5000:
Change the settings in Onyx to show file name.
Set up your base print file of 250 (or whatever reasonable number).
Copy that file X times.
Onyx will add the "Copy Tag" File name: XXXXXXX~1, XXXXXXX~2,...XXXXXXX~20

As the prints come out of the machine it will have the file name and that tag number, ~10 was the last one out of the machine? You have 2500 copies.
4 lines of ~11 printed with 30 in a line? 2620.

I don't like the copies feature because it send the whole job as one file and when it fails, and here we are. If it's a few copies, fine, but true volume orders I run like this.

File hygiene matters.

JamesLam

Need 5000:
Change the settings in Onyx to show file name.
Set up your base print file of 250 (or whatever reasonable number).
Copy that file X times.
Onyx will add the "Copy Tag" File name: XXXXXXX~1, XXXXXXX~2,...XXXXXXX~20

As the prints come out of the machine it will have the file name and that tag number, ~10 was the last one out of the machine? You have 2500 copies.
4 lines of ~11 printed with 30 in a line? 2620.

I don't like the copies feature because it send the whole job as one file and when it fails, and here we are. If it's a few copies, fine, but true volume orders I run like this.

File hygiene matters.
Don't have Onyx, but may consider that for other reasons as we look at new acquisitions.

But in the mean time (FLEXI and ONYX if you're listening) it would be a smart feature to have if the software automatically tagged the original and the repeats as separate files. If print or tag 6 out of 75 for what ever reason was interupted then the user would know how far they progressed through the job. I'm sure these guys will slide us out patent fees.

JBurton

Signtologist
Don't have Onyx, but may consider that for other reasons as we look at new acquisitions.

But in the mean time (FLEXI and ONYX if you're listening) it would be a smart feature to have if the software automatically tagged the original and the repeats as separate files. If print or tag 6 out of 75 for what ever reason was interupted then the user would know how far they progressed through the job. I'm sure these guys will slide us out patent fees.
You may be kidding, but Onyx has been fairly attentive to my technical concerns. Originally, 12.2 (maybe 10.2? idk, been a while) had a remote feature, where you could login via web browser and change profiles, print modes, everything you need for a simple non color matched job, and it was simple enough that I showed a couple of the minions how to use it and saved myself some time. Well the next iteration removed it, I called the distributor who trained me to see where it went, and he came back with a reply that they had removed it do to 'nobody' using it. He then offered me an alternate installer that put it back in. I was amazed, of course it still didn't work and I never followed up to troubleshoot, but the fact that I got rational answers and a potential solution back made me appreciate onyx engineers.

Shred_signs

Lost Member

my bad i missed that part, got my threads mixed up. I have never printed direct out of Flexi and only ran production manager for our plotter work.