• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 365 Latex Printer Power Backup and Surge Protection

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Diesel does not come with an oxidizer or with a detonator.... Not all BIG backups systems are diesel - though most are and almost all older ones are. New electric cell battery systems (use nat gas for hydrogen source) are becoming common. However all systems I have personally seen have a huge battery of cells with the sole purpose of supplying instant electricity back to the system while the long-term generators power up.

Giving the relatively tiny need for power to keep a printer running, a powerwall will work well, if it does not switch on fast enough (though the published specs seem to say it will switch fast enough) just add a small ups that can run for literally a fraction of a second while the powerwall switches on - the Tesla powerwall is rated at 13.5 kwh - If we take the high power-usage from the OP in post #1 - 4.6kw lets round up to 5kw - then a single powerwall should be able to keep the printer running at full maximum power for 2.5 hours... quite reasonable for a BIG UPS...... and only about $10k... and with net metering it can generate income.... you can also find 35kw backup generators which claim to be fast enough for electronics in the $6k range - but these will operate at a total loss.
So now you are saying get a powerwall AND UPS just for the printer. What would be an example of a small online UPS that can take a massive load for 10sec and still be small (and cheap?) Link me one I'm qurious.

darrellcarpenay

Those should work well to reduce spikes int he line voltage - a big surge like a lightening strike nearby may well still jump to your equipment, and it will not be able to input much power as the capacitors have to fit in the box too... but this device gives exponentially greater protection than the $10 'surge protector' we love to hate.

(I too have a few of these running on our mail meter and related equipment.)
I spoke with my supplier today and he said that it's more likely that the low voltages will do the damage than higher voltages.
Regarding the surge protector - I've managed to get lucky and purchased 3 units, but they seem to have went out of production. I'm looking for a device that will do a similar or better job. Any suggestions on this?

darrellcarpenay

We had our electrician install a whole building surge protector. Not sure if it is the best solution, it is only about 8x12 x 5. The cost was under $1,000
I spoke with my tech. They said they can do the building protector with backup power but it's going to cost $5,000+ and will hold the HP365 for 10-20mins.