• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP 831 Latex Ink / STS

DeadDoc

Hi,

Can someone provide updates regarding STS 831 compatible latex inks? Many thanx.
Not certain on this but I have two HP L360's. One uses STS and the other is running OEM. There are other differences like the STS one is well past in need of SMK#3 and eats PHs left and right. Rarely a strike issue, usually clogs in the head that no amount of printer or manual recovery can do.

Is this an ink issue, no idea, but I can't convince work to stop buying off brand ink. I am about 100mL of Magenta away from having to put STS ink in the other 360 and pray this is not the cause of the issues. I can not convince the uppers for maintenance or spending money on OEM ink. I am at the point of shoving the one into a corner and watching it burn.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Not certain on this but I have two HP L360's. One uses STS and the other is running OEM. There are other differences like the STS one is well past in need of SMK#3 and eats PHs left and right. Rarely a strike issue, usually clogs in the head that no amount of printer or manual recovery can do.

Is this an ink issue, no idea, but I can't convince work to stop buying off brand ink. I am about 100mL of Magenta away from having to put STS ink in the other 360 and pray this is not the cause of the issues. I can not convince the uppers for maintenance or spending money on OEM ink. I am at the point of shoving the one into a corner and watching it burn.
I saw an microscopic picture from HP of OEM ink and aftermarket ink and there was a really big difference in the quality and how big chunks the aftermarket had. Now I don't wonder at all if it would block the printhead filters and channels a lot quicker...

But I don't know how STS gets their ink if they make it or just use the 10L HP carts to refill or what ever.

Last edited:

DeadDoc

20210505_152907.jpg
20210507_161003.jpg
I saw an microscopic picture from HP of OEM ink and aftermarket ink and there was a really big difference in the quality and how big chunks the aftermarket had. Now I don't wonder at all if it would block the printhead filters and channels a lot quicker...

But I don't know how STS gets their ink if they make it or just use the 10L HP carts to refill or what ever.
That would be a lovely question to have answered. Gotta love manual calibration while having issues with printheads. Haha. And no, I can't use the auto. Recently changed majority of them within 2 weeks with zero head strikes here. The printer that gets headstrikes, which uses HP ink, rarely goes through PH.

Jack Knight1979

STS fried my Roland printheads. The only third party company that worked perfectly for me in my eco-sol days was Solaris. The savings isn't there on latex ink. The inks are very affordable and work perfectly. Stick with OEM. You will be chasing problems for the rest of your days, if you go third-party. You'll have fried heads, banding, bad color, weird drying, electrical problems going up the chain from blown heads. You'll spend way more money on repairs and tossed prints than you could ever save on third party ink.

DeadDoc

STS fried my Roland printheads. The only third party company that worked perfectly for me in my eco-sol days was Solaris. The savings isn't there on latex ink. The inks are very affordable and work perfectly. Stick with OEM. You will be chasing problems for the rest of your days, if you go third-party. You'll have fried heads, banding, bad color, weird drying, electrical problems going up the chain from blown heads. You'll spend way more money on repairs and tossed prints than you could ever save on third party ink.
Sadly, sometimes the OPs don't have the last say on what item is purchased.

Precision

I like to sleep easy at night, and my printer (360) is a workhorse. Why would I not give it the ink that was designed specifically for it.

Sometimes saving a nickle can cost you a dollar.

Your actions can also translate to the quality of your product. 1st it's the ink, then it's the vinyl, then it's the time, then......

My business plan has always been to advertise effectively, offer a quality product, and charge accordingly, feed the family.

jagsouthern

I have had a 310 for about six years. Using 3rd party for 5 of the 6. Used STS and now Budget. Happy with both. I have other printers with either original and 3rd party so the ink issue is not new to me.

Clive Turner

Don't use them I sold them in the UK had about 100 accounts on them they work for about 2 months them you get nothing but issues with printheads and the print quality. When you talk to them they just say no your wrong they are the best compatible for Latex believe me they are not, I lost customers because of them. STAY AWAY FROM THEM PLEASE.