• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP color inconsistency on a print, gone from purple to grey--see pics

Precision

Depps you ask for advice, but then don't want to believe what a seasoned printer with an HP 300 model is telling you. Take your print, and drop the colors into a new file of separate color blocks, then add a few more colors, and see how it prints. It doesn't matter if other prints are printing fine. Unless you are printing those exact colors you may not notice the change. For $125 a print head, you have wasted more that that amount of money in your time already. Stubborn is as stubborn does.

depps74

None of the tests really simulate printing, just show you that in theory the heads work and nozzles are open. But once you start printing the head is contantly working and new issues can show up that don't show otherwise.

So... just tell us how much usage you have on the printheads? How old are they?

As you have issues with grey like this, I suspect you have a issue with the LM-LC head.

You can try to print 100% CMYK blocks and 10% CM blocks to see if any issues show on that. It needs to be printed with color correction OFF.
If I had to guess, you will see some issue on the 10% CM...
I did a CMYK LC AND LM print. Also attaching the ML shots of each head. THey are 2 years old but not that much ink as far as I understand. Awaiting some repsonses here to see if swapping a head is what it could be given the test print and head life seems fine?

IMG_3539.jpeg
IMG_3537.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3540.jpeg
    IMG_3540.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3541.jpeg
    IMG_3541.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 95

depps74

Depps you ask for advice, but then don't want to believe what a seasoned printer with an HP 300 model is telling you. Take your print, and drop the colors into a new file of separate color blocks, then add a few more colors, and see how it prints. It doesn't matter if other prints are printing fine. Unless you are printing those exact colors you may not notice the change. For $125 a print head, you have wasted more that that amount of money in your time already. Stubborn is as stubborn does.
I would like to understand the machine and potentially a bigger issue. I have thrown printheads at this type of problem before with no change. It could be, but I am trying to learn the machine and other possible factors before turning to that default fix. I think my problem is worse than this as it has never printed neutral tones well or without some tint of red.

dypinc

I would like to understand the machine and potentially a bigger issue. I have thrown printheads at this type of problem before with no change. It could be, but I am trying to learn the machine and other possible factors before turning to that default fix. I think my problem is worse than this as it has never printed neutral tones well or without some tint of red.
If you sure it is not a printhead going bad, create a new media preset (do not clone one) and then calibrate/linearize, then create a new ICC profile. This is the best method to get neutral tones.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So... I try to explain my way of figuring this out. Now if you printed that block correctly it does seem like your heads are fine. You can visually see during printing that if the LM-LC block is printed with the light printhead if the printing comes the whole time a little bit later than the CMYK. If you understand what I mean, because it's only one head and it's in the lower position, okay.

If everything else comes out fine and you haven't noticed other issues... That would lead me to believe you have an issue with the file/RIP settings.
Having any other older file and a sample from some time back, that's easy way to check if it looks fine.

You saying it looks grey on your MAC doesn't give me great comfort that the file itself would be OK. It sounds like the file exporting or something else is messed up and onyx preview always shows what ever it shows, don't trust that. It's also depending on your display if it's not color calibrated it just tells you crap about anything.

If you share the file I could try to print it in color calibrated profile and see how it looks like.

Last edited:

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I didn't read all the answers but is your maintenance cartridge needing to be changed? Also, look at seem how many nozzles are out on the printheads. Check your optimizer print head and optimizer ink. Even though your printer will show everything is good, it's not always the case. I had an issue similar summer of 2020. Printheads weren't firing correctly because the maintenance cartridge was full. Once the maintenance cartridge was replaced, and I replaced the printheads, it all went back to normal.

Heybetty

I did a CMYK LC AND LM print. Also attaching the ML shots of each head. THey are 2 years old but not that much ink as far as I understand. Awaiting some repsonses here to see if swapping a head is what it could be given the test print and head life seems fine?

View attachment 156925 View attachment 156930
Those color blocks look great from here.
Your printheads have been around for awhile.
How old are your inks/optimizer? Any expired?

depps74

If you sure it is not a printhead going bad, create a new media preset (do not clone one) and then calibrate/linearize, then create a new ICC profile. This is the best method to get neutral tones.
ok, do you happen to know of a video or step by step method to do this? I only know the cloning method. I also dont know how to create an ICC profile

depps74

I didn't read all the answers but is your maintenance cartridge needing to be changed? Also, look at seem how many nozzles are out on the printheads. Check your optimizer print head and optimizer ink. Even though your printer will show everything is good, it's not always the case. I had an issue similar summer of 2020. Printheads weren't firing correctly because the maintenance cartridge was full. Once the maintenance cartridge was replaced, and I replaced the printheads, it all went back to normal.
Mainatenence cartridge is about 25% left.

depps74

So... I try to explain my way of figuring this out. Now if you printed that block correctly it does seem like your heads are fine. You can visually see during printing that if the LM-LC block is printed with the light printhead if the printing comes the whole time a little bit later than the CMYK. If you understand what I mean, because it's only one head and it's in the lower position, okay.

If everything else comes out fine and you haven't noticed other issues... That would lead me to believe you have an issue with the file/RIP settings.
Having any other older file and a sample from some time back, that's easy way to check if it looks fine.

You saying it looks grey on your MAC doesn't give me great comfort that the file itself would be OK. It sounds like the file exporting or something else is messed up and onyx preview always shows what ever it shows, don't trust that. It's also depending on your display if it's not color calibrated it just tells you crap about anything.

If you share the file I could try to print it in color calibrated profile and see how it looks like.
I will share the file with you tomorrow for sure.

I understand what you mean about later printing. I will print again and see if the LM prints later. Wouldnt that require it moving the material backwards though?

I think you are right. Initially when I printed months ago I saved the RIP file, then after 2 months I deleted it and of course client ordered more about a week later even though they said they would never need another. The ONE AND ONLY thing I did between those 2 orders was I had to print a totally different image ( different client) in black and white. ONYX guy walked me through how to do this and it involved creating a quick set for black and white only and then reverting back to the original CMYK. This was the only thing in the RIP that I messed with besides deleting the RIP File for the actual prints of course. Maybe I did not set it back correcctly or maybe the RIP is rotted? RIP rot is a term that an onyx tech told me can happen with RIPS over time. IT presents buggy problems like this one.

depps74

Those color blocks look great from here.
Your printheads have been around for awhile.
How old are your inks/optimizer? Any expired?
THe inks are all 2021, different months but recent. The optiimizer is brand new. I dont think any are expired.

dypinc

I will share the file with you tomorrow for sure.

I understand what you mean about later printing. I will print again and see if the LM prints later. Wouldnt that require it moving the material backwards though?

I think you are right. Initially when I printed months ago I saved the RIP file, then after 2 months I deleted it and of course client ordered more about a week later even though they said they would never need another. The ONE AND ONLY thing I did between those 2 orders was I had to print a totally different image ( different client) in black and white. ONYX guy walked me through how to do this and it involved creating a quick set for black and white only and then reverting back to the original CMYK. This was the only thing in the RIP that I messed with besides deleting the RIP File for the actual prints of course. Maybe I did not set it back correcctly or maybe the RIP is rotted? RIP rot is a term that an onyx tech told me can happen with RIPS over time. IT presents buggy problems like this one.
RIP rotting, with Onyx I can believe it. That is why I suggested creating a new profile, but where did you get the ICC profile you are using now. If you downloaded it somewhere maybe you can delete the one in Onyx now and reinstall.

depps74

RIP rotting, with Onyx I can believe it. That is why I suggested creating a new profile, but where did you get the ICC profile you are using now. If you downloaded it somewhere maybe you can delete the one in Onyx now and reinstall.
Thats a great suggestion. I am going to try reinstalling the ICC, and creating a new one tomorrow,

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Print the Onyx quality evaluation pdf found in the Onyx samples folder. The exercise is tantamount to strumming your guitar to hear if it's in tune before you perform a song.

Heybetty

it involved creating a quick set for black and white only and then reverting back to the original CMYK. This was the only thing in the RIP that I messed with
Rendering intent is part of the ICC Profile Setup under Color Management. A changed value could explain the color shift. I was was thinking it may have changed when you were messing with the RIP setting black and white and reverting to CMYK. Messing with the RIP can lead to RIP rotting.

depps74

I can not send the file as it is too large. Can I wetransfer it to you or send another way?

SimpleStencils

So how many printheads have you changed. I told you earlier it is a print head issue. We run an HP360. Everytime we have had our greys shift to purple it has been a print head. Everytime.

But what do I know.
I had the same issue, spent a lot of money on all new printheads and even new inks. In the end, it was the ICC profile issue, I suggest trying that first before replacing printheads because it can get pricey... especially if everything else is printing okay. Like you, the greys print purple. This is the second time I have had to create new ICC profiles and not sure where the corruption starts, would be nice to know. Perhaps because Onyx would like me to upgrade to the newest version...