• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Design Jet 3500CP

inthesignbiz

Had a customer drop off a HP Design Jet 3500CP that his dad had in Ca.
He said that he thought it worked, but wasn't sure.

It looks to be in good condition. Although, some of the casing is yellowed.

My questions are:

What kind of software is needed to run this?
Can it be run from Corel?

Is there anything special that is needed?

We've been running SP540v for years and are very familiar with it.

Just need some tips on this printer.

Thanks

From Epinions

--------------------
Pros: Price, media, reliability, works with Vista with a little trick, above average quality.
Cons: Replaced by higher-res machines, good examples tougher to find.
These printers were first announced way back in 1998 and really started to hit the market about a year or so later, so they're not cutting edge equipment.

But for the money, if you can find a good one (especially if it comes with a decent supply of ink and paper) they're still wonderful printers. I bought one on eBay for $1500 and I've been very happy with it. I'm not competing with the high-end print shops and this printer is perfect for economical low-to-mid range requirements.

600x600DPI is more than adequate at the sizes this printer can handle and the selection of media is fantastic. The internal RIP is slow but serviceable: I was very, very surprised that by downloading the HP JetDirect Printer Installation Wizard from HP's website I could get the drivers for this machine to install under Windows Vista 32 bit without *any hassles*, despite the fact that the HP website doesn't advertise the driver as working under Vista.

At the price, who's complaining? The printer is a workhorse and you can get good deals on consumables. If you're looking for a low-priced entry in the large-format market, find one and buy it.

Looks like there are quite a few drivers on HP's Website, take a look.

showcase 66

I was just going to ask about this printer and since someone has already brought it up recently I will just add it to here.:thread

I have a client that came across an HP Designjet 3500cp about 8 months ago. It was traded to him from a sign shop who was behind in his rent payments. The sign place ended up closing and gave it to the guy. It was completely cleaned out and seems ready to go. Looks to be in perfect condition. He has some ink but I am not sure how good it is or if I would want to try and use it.

I was going to do a couple of signs for the guy and he asked if I was interested in it. He said he would trade it to me for the signs I was going to do for him. ($200 worth of signs) I told him I would have to think about it and look into it. It seems to be a good deal and from reading some things on google, its not that bad of a machine. Not the greatest, but... I was thinking if it works ok I would take it to do more of the smaller print items.

Anyone have any info on the machine.

Thanks

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Its hard to get inks now for that machine but Im sure someone on here knows who can get them still. Its a very old machine but can do good prints, its slow but that might not matter to you.

The Equipment Guy

Also as I recall, the 3500 was the one that had the limitation to print length...it would do about 8ft in length and then do refill line.

Craig