• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Designhet 3500 is it a good printer to start off with

signdesign

Anyone know about these printers. I was thinking about getting one for outdoor signage and a laminator but not sure if it is worth it.
Does anyone have any comment on them.
thanks
karen

neato

well, I would say that there are better options for outdoor signage. But, I think someone here could help you find the right inks and lamination to get a good start with this machine. I know that people who own those love them for sure.

This machine will also allow you to expand your market and get into interior POP signage and duratrans too. There's a lot of $$$ in that!

SteadyBenny

That's an old printer... I assume you mean used. What's the condition or how much use? Are you sure? Is it set up for dye or UV (pigment inks)?
Did you know that the replacement of it's replacement is $9,000 with a $2,000 rebate? I hate this rebate crap...
If it was good and cheap (like $1,500) I'd say go for it.
Duratrans are semi translucent prints, illuminated.

signdesign

It is used they bought it 6 months ago - is like new condition and barely used. It can be used for both ink types. They are asking $2800.00 - I am looking for a decent printer no more than $3000.00 if possible for a starter. Which type is the best?
Any help would be greatly appreciatted.
Thanks

SteadyBenny

My my guess is you've already been lied to about the age. What is it set up for now? I think if you want to change from dye to pigment you have to replace the printheads. Probably several hundred dollars to do. Reading the manual I see mention of Windows 95/98, NT4.0. I don't see mention of Windows ME, 2000 and certainly not XP. While you can get drivers for them online. My guess is this plotter is 6 YEARS old, not 6 MONTHS. $2,800 sounds a bit too much. I'd offer about half that. This is an old printer.

neato

Yes, that is an old printer.

I think you could find a better printer for that price. I would look on ebay. There are always HP 2000's and 2500's on there for around $1500. You'd be better off doing something like that to start out..

signdesign

They said the print heads are always replaced when you put in new ink. Comes complete I guess. They said they bought it 6 months ago for $3300.00
What would you recommend as a good printer to try out.
Thanks
karen

signdesign

Does the epson use outdoor inks and if so how long do they last outdoors. Can you print on any type of vinyl?
Thanks
Karen

neato

I didn't even think about an Epson!

The Epsons use Ultrachrome inks which are pretty durable. I think there are other inks available to that may be even more durable.

I'll tell you what though, the Epsons in my opinion are an incredible value. I never understood the low price on these machines. They are a bit on the slow side, but the print quality is unmatchable. These machines are very easy to maintain too.

I know there are a couple of people over at signforums.com that own them. You might want to post over there if you're interested.