• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP DesignJet 3500CP

inthesignbiz

I had a customer give me one of these a couple of years ago.
It still sitting on the floor.

Don't know if it prints but it does power up.

Are these good printers?
Pros/cons welcome.

What software is needed to run it?

kanini

Brings back memories, this was my 2nd large format printer. It's slow, painfully slow and expensive to run. I had trouble with the ink filling since it doesn't have lines to the printheads so it docks them against some valves from the ink carts and fills the heads after each print. Obsolete by todays standards. Easy to replace printheads and each cartridge contains both ink and a head.

You'll probably have trouble with finding drivers compatible with newer operating systems, but with some fiddle I remember getting it to print from a windows driver and an LPT cable, no extra software needed. I think I used a Designjet 3000cp driver or something, you can download them from HP for free. Don't try to use the included RIP computer if you have it, takes ages if you have files larger than 20-50 Mb. You'll have trouble with color correction, profiles, etc. I'd suggest to not sink any money in it since the economics with this printer is not working anymore today - even if you got it for free. But I remember the take-up was nice, photocell and all... Sorry to say but I wouldn't keep it.

inthesignbiz

Thank for the information.

Usually what happens when someone gives me something for free.

The question I have now, is how do I get rid of it?

Maybe, I can find someone to give it to.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Lol you might talk to HP about putting it in their history museum, that unit is a dinosaur. You can put it on ebay and try to get a few bucks for it.