• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Hewlett Packard DesignJet 3800CP Wide Format Printer

supaegnt

howdy,
i have been doing/using vinyls for all my sign projects and i am presently dreaming of purchasing below item for my color sign projects,would you give me the lowdowns on inks,indoor,outdoor,durability,any limits and more:helpHP Hewlett Packard DesignJet 3800CP Wide Format Printer

:thankyou:

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
That machine is a dinosaur, very hard to get inks and virtually no parts are made for it anymore. Outdoor life is very short, how much is it? I wouldnt reccomend it at all.

soundhound

The 3800 is just a 3000 with a separate rip

Toss the rip.

The 3000 is still very much a good and workable machine. The problem is not inks (they are still available) or parts (used non-working 2000s and 3000s are available all over)... but that this printer is slow, and it needs to be run regularly because if the inks dry up or the printheads clog, you are gonna spend $225 (for a year & a half warranted) ink/printhead set. The good news, however, is that there are only 4 colors.

The other good news is that you can print 54" wide.

The other big problem is that time has been less than kind to these old gals! The displays are getting dim (I run a couple) and you had better be prepared to strip the machine all the way down at a moment's notice in order to replace a part from your spare machine (DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE... DEFINITELY BUY 2).

I gotta admit, the next time my 3500 or 3000 asks for a cash infusion... even a printhead set.... I am gonna let em go. There are 5000s out there going for $500 in working condition.

Bly

The pigment inks last alright but print quality is average being 4 colour.
The worst thing about them apart form their speed is the fact the heads have no ink line to them so when they run low they have to stop the print and go over to the cartridges and fill up, usually leaving a mark across your print.

sjm

The pigment inks last alright but print quality is average being 4 colour.
The worst thing about them apart form their speed is the fact the heads have no ink line to them so when they run low they have to stop the print and go over to the cartridges and fill up, usually leaving a mark across your print.

Bly try doing a 4x8 with heavy ink coverage. I'll leave it at that.