• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Lytjan13

Hi all,
I am looking at replacing our existing Mimaki CJV300-130 that has been down with an error that the techs can't figure out without loads of parts and travel time (Our techs are appx 3.5 hour drive away). We are looking at replacements with wither another CJV with this supplier taking on the machine in trade to see if they can use it for parts or repair and sell as refurbished or purchasing from another supplyer of an HP Latex 115 or 315 with a seperate cutter. I'm waiting on the quote from our Mimaki supplier to see what the cost of replacing with the same machine would be, I'm guessing around 20k and the HP set looks to be around 11k for the 115 and 16k for the 315 (both including HP plotters).

We do a variety of prints on these from smaller (2"x3") contour cut decals to larger scrim banners (4'x8' is a common size). Right now I'm getting by with our printing by using our JFX to print the roll materials and hand cutting the banners (which I would do anyway) or square cutting the decals by hand. We also work with local artist to print on a variety of papers and canvas materials. I wonder about the latex inks cracking on the canvas if the artist goes to stretch a gallery wrap style print around some stretcher bars. I did try our JFX with this and the ink cracked almost immedietly as I tried to bend the canvs. We currently use a C M Y K LC LM W W setup on the CJV as we do some small print for HO scale (1:87) trains, our white has been not printing for a while though and the main customer on this has been ok with a standard white vinyl that we print and he then trims to size instead of the clear but being able to print white with the new printer would be beneficial for some of our customer's projects as well.

Can anyone share any pros and cons of the ecosolvent vs latex and Mimaki vs HP? I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you have that might make a more informed suggestion.
Thanks

balstestrat

Problem Solver
I wonder about the latex inks cracking on the canvas if the artist goes to stretch a gallery wrap style print around some stretcher bars.
I doubt that latex ink would crack as it's very flexible. However if the canvas fibers crack, the ink will crack as well.

Depends on how particular you are about small details, latex probably won't produce as nice details as solvents.
You should ask them to make some of your files and see how they look. The most difficult ones.

Lytjan13

I doubt that latex ink would crack as it's very flexible. However if the canvas fibers crack, the ink will crack as well.

Depends on how particular you are about small details, latex probably won't produce as nice details as solvents.
You should ask them to make some of your files and see how they look. The most difficult ones.
Thanks. The canvas itselft doesn't crack it was the flexibility of the ink I was worried about. Most of our clientel isn't focused on minute details, the HO scale stuff is tough. I will contact my supplier that has the HPs and see if they can run some samples for us.