• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 360 - Ink buildup on printheads

Izido99

I have a Latex 360 issue that keeps on repeating for a while now. Latex ink keeps on building on printheads. Usually it builds on top and bottom of printheads, but it also gets on the sides of the printhead. This is a very thick and hard residue, that can be sracthed away only using stronger mechanical pressure (i.e. fingernails). This buildup happens in the matter of hours from the beginning of printing, sometimes only after 5-10 metres. The buildup completely covers the nozzles, so a part of the printhead covered can't print any ink. This creates terrible color issues, banding and color mismatch. This issue affects all printheads, except so far the optimizer printhead. Thi one seems to have no issues. I've changed printheads multiple times, had the carriage cleaned recently, changed the ink, cleaned the ink systems etc. No help. The only thing I can do is to take out the printheads, clean them manually and reinstall them. This only works until the printhead gets clogged again, which is after another 5-10 metres of printing. It's a terrbile issue that makes the printer completely unusable for anything except the most simple of jobs, and even then I dread using it.

PS: the local HP reepresentatives and service guys seem completely out of ideas. Except the ususal "replace the printheads" (which I did numerous times) there is nothing they can do. I'll attach some pictures of the ink residue. Anybody had a similar issue, please help.

Attachments

• IMG_20220306_144434_resized_20220331_095814464.jpg
    IMG_20220306_144434_resized_20220331_095814464.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_20220306_144446_resized_20220331_095814210.jpg
    IMG_20220306_144446_resized_20220331_095814210.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_20220306_144453_resized_20220331_095813951.jpg
    IMG_20220306_144453_resized_20220331_095813951.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_20220306_144457_resized_20220331_095813610.jpg
    IMG_20220306_144457_resized_20220331_095813610.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 181

MikePro

My guess, ink buildup would result from operational failure of, in order: maintenance station > waste ink funnel/wiper > waste ink line > waste ink container.

the ink cycles through the printhead, and has to go somewhere. HP has made this process pretty user-friendly with easy to replace maintenance parts, but if its not the disposable parts....then maybe its part of the system that they are intended to be operated-by? It upsets me to hear that HP reps/service techs are still baffled and haven't simply replaced your printer, as they should, if it is indeed a new unit.

Izido99

My guess, ink buildup would result from operational failure of, in order: maintenance station > waste ink funnel/wiper > waste ink line > waste ink container.

the ink cycles through the printhead, and has to go somewhere. HP has made this process pretty user-friendly with easy to replace maintenance parts, but if its not the disposable parts....then maybe its part of the system that they are intended to be operated-by? It upsets me to hear that HP reps/service techs are still baffled and haven't simply replaced your printer, as they should, if it is indeed a new unit.
Dear MikePro, thank you very much for your insight. Just to clarify, the printer is not new anymore (being "new" was meant for the maintenance kit), however it's been with me since new and this problems have begun quite early in my ownership. I'll lok into this, thank you again.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
What does it precisely mean that you "had the carriage cleaned recently"?
Have you had the service replace the carriage bottom protector? I would definately start from there.
Take a picture of the maintenance cartridge and the bottom of the carriage and lets see how it looks.

Any errors recently? Any at all? You can see all the errors in the service plot.

L360 doesn't have this. It's only got the maintenance cartridge and nothing else.

Last edited:

karst41

After reading everything, something is amiss obviously and now you must
play detective and sleuth out the problem.

Mean while to clean the ink buildup off the sides of the print heads HP will tell you to
use distilled water, and propyl alcohol with a lint free towel.
I prefer the Shop All blue paper towels.
Use distilled water first and with stubborn ink use the IPA on the sides only.

Avoid the alcohol on the jets / nozzles , It will dry too fast and you will create an additional
round of cleaning.

Your problem is with the wipers and rollers, or the loading ramps for the cartridge.
Remove the Cartridge. Get a good light and 2x reading glasses.
L-360? yeah its an aged printer and something is likely loose and maybe a few screws
need to be tightened up,,,,,,if so use blue loctite and dont be a slob.

If Not then you likely you have a defective Maint Cartridge. Yes it does happen.
I would order a new one, and if your problem is solved make a warranty claim on the older cart.

Good luck Mr Holmes. and please post up your findings and your disposition.
It may well help the next guy.