• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 560 Issues After Updating TLS Encryption

ColorFast

We have had an HP Latex 560 running on our highly secured network for about 2-3 years without issues. Our IT department recently blocked the ethernet port our printer was connected to due to "vulnerabilities" presented by the obsolete TLS Version (1.0 or 1.1 or both) on the printer. They upgraded the Encryption to TLS 1.2 and put it back online. Ever since we have had a variety of issues which I will not list in detail here. We have resolved nearly all of them except for a very peculiar hangup with Onyx 21. Every time we send a job, rather than preheating/printing, an Onyx dialog window pops up that says "wake up...Please Wait". It has no "x" to close this window and doesn't give you an option to cancel UNTIL after about 5mins a "cancel" box appears. As soon as you click cancel the box goes away and the job begins to print correctly. All connectivity tests (on Onyx, PC, and printer) come back normal. The obvious answer is to revert to the original TLS settings but unfortunately this is not an option. Our IT people are struggling to figure out the issue and have placed the blame on Onyx or the printer's hardware. Any ideas? I had toyed with the thought that this could be a hardware issue that appeared around the same time as the encryption change and the association with the issue is mere coincidence. That said, I'm pretty convinced it has something to do with the network/printer settings that were changed. Solutions we have tried include: printing directly to the printer from an un-networked computer, printing from a different computer on the same network that has a different version of Onyx, printing using a Fiery RIP demo (it wouldn't even connect), and setting up the printer on a local subnet rather than our unit-wide network. Nothing has worked.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Holy crap you have pain in the ass IT.
Could you just connect the printer directly to your RIP PC, reset the TLS and forget the impossibilities?
Clearly it has something to do with this stuff.

ColorFast

Holy crap you have pain in the *** IT.
Could you just connect the printer directly to your RIP PC, reset the TLS and forget the impossibilities?
Clearly it has something to do with this stuff.
Agreed. They are a pretty tough crowd. We've thought about this and it'd certainly be possible to set up a completely standalone PC, although a last resort. It would complicate a number of things including (but not limited to) print production file access, Onyx updates and printer firmware updates. Honestly, based on our purchasing process I don't think we could get a computer into the building without IT finding out about it and demanding full access (via the network) to it. That said, we may be able to push them for this if it's the only solution.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Buy a network card and have IT install it and set it up to run the printer. Best of both worlds, PC still has access to the network and printer is connected direct.

ColorFast

Buy a network card and have IT install it and set it up to run the printer. Best of both worlds, PC still has access to the network and printer is connected direct.
This is actually how it is currently set up. 2 printers connected to a switch and then to network card on computer. Computer is then connected to the network. Apologies if I left this out of the original post but I was hoping to keep it brief so people might actually read it. It would seem that with this setup it would be ok to lift a lot of the security restrictions/encryption but our IT is slow and often unwilling to make exceptions.

ColorFast

FIXED!! I was finally able to talk IT into rolling back the security changes now that the printer is set up to operate through the standalone subnetwork. It was unclear to IT which settings were directly related to the TLS encryption so he just restored them to the factory default and success. No more 5min delay when sending jobs.