• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex 800W

stickerhed

A little late to the game here, but we have had 2 of the HP800W between our 2 locations. Nothing but nightmares from the start. We got it mainly because of the white capability and the 3 layer prints. We ended up returning one and buying 2 of the Epson R5070L. I would highly recommend the Epson for anyone that's looking for a good HP replacement that doesn't need the white. With our HP we had issues of panel lengths not matching up, color consistency was for the birds, vinyl waste was unbelievable, and there was so many little things we had to do to try to keep our print quality up to par. With the Epsons, there is nothing we need to do but hit print. Ink capacity on the L matches the HP800, and while print time may be a little slower, I know the end product will work. No more color shifting or random head strikes in the middle of the print. There are almost no little tricks that you have to learn to make this machine perform. We still have one HP because of the 3 layer printing for our back lit signs, but if Epson adds that capability to their printers we will be switching to that as soon as it proves itself!
A little late to the game here, but we have had 2 of the HP800W between our 2 locations. Nothing but nightmares from the start. We got it mainly because of the white capability and the 3 layer prints. We ended up returning one and buying 2 of the Epson R5070L. I would highly recommend the Epson for anyone that's looking for a good HP replacement that doesn't need the white. With our HP we had issues of panel lengths not matching up, color consistency was for the birds, vinyl waste was unbelievable, and there was so many little things we had to do to try to keep our print quality up to par. With the Epsons, there is nothing we need to do but hit print. Ink capacity on the L matches the HP800, and while print time may be a little slower, I know the end product will work. No more color shifting or random head strikes in the middle of the print. There are almost no little tricks that you have to learn to make this machine perform. We still have one HP because of the 3 layer printing for our back lit signs, but if Epson adds that capability to their printers we will be switching to that as soon as it proves itself!
Would you share your settings for 3 layer printing for backlit signs? I have a 700w but I’ve never done backlit like that. Currently we are printing a mirrored print and applying to the back of the panel.

Would you share your settings for 3 layer printing for backlit signs? I have a 700w but I’ve never done backlit like that. Currently we are printing a mirrored print and applying to the back of the panel.

This would be printed using a 3-layer Sandwich print mode - Color-White-Color.

stickerhed

Yes, I understand that. Which exact profile do you use? I should have been more specific. If we are doing a 4' x 10' it takes forever to print. What white % are you using?

Yes, I understand that. Which exact profile do you use? I should have been more specific. If we are doing a 4' x 10' it takes forever to print. What white % are you using?
For 3-layer Sandwich jobs, the white ink serves as a diffuser, so 60-percent white is typically all that is needed. That prints at about 44 square feet per hour.

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
I can speak for the 700w. I bought one in February 2022 and had nothing but problems with it. It was down as frequently as it was running. At 11 months I asked for another year warranty, a new printer replacement, or a refund. I got a new printer and its actually been flawless. Ive only been running it for a month but its had no downtime at all and actually just sounds a bit quieter when printing than the previous. I am happy with it so far and HP definitely did a good job keeping a customer.

cornholio

I can speak for the 700w. I bought one in February 2022 and had nothing but problems with it. It was down as frequently as it was running. At 11 months I asked for another year warranty, a new printer replacement, or a refund. I got a new printer and its actually been flawless. Ive only been running it for a month but its had no downtime at all and actually just sounds a bit quieter when printing than the previous. I am happy with it so far and HP definitely did a good job keeping a customer.
That's what the Enhancement Kit is intended for, in existing printers. Yours was factory fitted with the enhanced parts.

Splash0321

Professional Amateur
That's what the Enhancement Kit is intended for, in existing printers. Yours was factory fitted with the enhanced parts.
I wish this had been fixed sooner. Not just for me but for others as well. The first two years of the 700/800’s existence is full of negative experiences. I was very close to either going uv or quitting the printing side of things. Hopefully this update/upgrade changes the overall user experience.

JS

I’ve also got the Epson 5070L and love it. My dealer really helped me sway to the Epson even though they are also and HP dealer.
I’ve done some backlight signs with really really good results. I’d like to see the HP backlight sign to compare

I’ve also got the Epson 5070L and love it. My dealer really helped me sway to the Epson even though they are also and HP dealer.
I’ve done some backlight signs with really really good results. I’d like to see the HP backlight sign to compare

When you say 'backlit', are you referring to a print in an indoor lightbox, or a day/ night print (frontlit and backlit)? Were you printing on clear film, or translucent?

Last edited:

petesign

I hate to resurrect an old thread... but I need this done, and HP says they have never heard of this being covered... and want to charge me 3k to do this. Does anyone have a link to some documentation?

stickerhed

I hate to resurrect an old thread... but I need this done, and HP says they have never heard of this being covered... and want to charge me 3k to do this. Does anyone have a link to some documentation?
I believe your serial # must be below a certain number, I'm not sure what it is. Mine starts with MY17 and I know they covered that and below that number.

Nolan Ruppert

My apologies for being so late to the game here in my reply. We use the IJ180mC-114 profile that HP has in their system. We did modify some of the settings to make it work good, but it's been great for us! We actually usually print 100% white, but yes these prints do take a very long time. We just recently have been looking at the Canon Colorado M5 which has much faster printing even with white. If you're looking for speed, that might be something to consider for sign faces.

Nolan Ruppert

When you say 'backlit', are you referring to a print in an indoor lightbox, or a day/ night print (frontlit and backlit)? Were you printing on clear film, or translucent?
If it was on a R5070L it could only be for an indoor light box. You can't do a day/night print on the Resin unless your sticking 2 layers of vinyl.

greysquirrel

I talked to a HP dealer and he said he doesn't sell the HP700 or HP800's anymore because of quality issues and having to deal with HP. He also said the same about the R1000 and R2000 hybrid flatbed printers.
I cannot comment on the 700/800 but the r1000 and r2000 are bullet proof. I think maybe your reseller was dumped or needs to be dumped by HP if they actually aid that to you...or they were trying to sell you a different flatbed. HP has and will continue to address all of their customers with 700/800 issues. I don't work for HP but used to work for a reseller. They are the best printer manufacturer to partner with....

Nolan Ruppert

I cannot comment on the 700/800 but the r1000 and r2000 are bullet proof. I think maybe your reseller was dumped or needs to be dumped by HP if they actually aid that to you...or they were trying to sell you a different flatbed. HP has and will continue to address all of their customers with 700/800 issues. I don't work for HP but used to work for a reseller. They are the best printer manufacturer to partner with....
Just check past forums for comments on the 700/800. They definitely did not have a bullet proof printer at that point, and as I am currently on my 3rd 800W, they still are far from bullet proof. My printer has been down for 2 weeks since they installed the enhancement kit. It was working fine before that, but hasn't been printing since. This is not acceptable customer service either. I have found Epson to be much more reliable so far, but they don't offer white yet so can't fill all of our needs.

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Nolan

We are reseller that sells and services HP latex printers in the New York, New Jersey Pennsylvania area. We are what is referred to as a 3 in 1 resller which means we not only sell the machines but are capable of service. If you would like please reach out and we will see if we can help you.

Thanks

Dave Philipps
Graphic Resource Systems
973-808-8600 ext 112

greysquirrel

Just check past forums for comments on the 700/800. They definitely did not have a bullet proof printer at that point, and as I am currently on my 3rd 800W, they still are far from bullet proof. My printer has been down for 2 weeks since they installed the enhancement kit. It was working fine before that, but hasn't been printing since. This is not acceptable customer service either. I have found Epson to be much more reliable so far, but they don't offer white yet so can't fill all of our needs.
I believe my comment led with ("I cannot comment on the 700/800") I don't have one. I know of its issues and I do know that HP is looking to resolve those issues or replace the hardware. I was correcting Larry on his comment on the R100/R2000. The Epson Surecolor has white ink in the s80 not in their resin printer.

Nolan Ruppert

I believe my comment led with ("I cannot comment on the 700/800") I don't have one. I know of its issues and I do know that HP is looking to resolve those issues or replace the hardware. I was correcting Larry on his comment on the R100/R2000. The Epson Surecolor has white ink in the s80 not in their resin printer.
Yes they do offer white ink as an option, I have 2 of the S80 here and we have found the white to be majorly lacking. that's one thing I will give HP, they have found a good opaque white! Just hope they continue to improve the quality of their machines to go along with their cutting edge tech!

mxbykr99

We sold our R2000 8 months ago after switching to a DigiTech. It was a good machine, but we had an early model that was plagued with issues. I think we were down for at least three to 5 days every 6 months or so for service calls. Ink tubes busting, scan-axis motors going out, PCA board failures, etc.

parrott

We sold our R2000 8 months ago after switching to a DigiTech. It was a good machine, but we had an early model that was plagued with issues. I think we were down for at least three to 5 days every 6 months or so for service calls. Ink tubes busting, scan-axis motors going out, PCA board failures, etc.
Probably the best move you could have ever made. Hands down the best company to pair yourself with. Digitech cares about their customers and always have your back.