• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Latex vs JV33??

timder

Hi Everybody...I'm a new member.

I'm looking to replace our aging Jv3 that has been a work horse over the years. I was ready to pull the plug on a new Jv33 until the HP L25500 latex caught my eye.

We are in Canada so keeping the room environment consistent is difficult, so I'm worried about the latex but the "odor free" is very appealing.

We are printing at 1000 - 1500 sq ft per week, mostly adhesive vinyl.

Anybody have any opinions? Also anybody with first hand knowledge on the odor of the ES3 inks?

Any opinions would greatly be appreciated.

Rydaddy

Top 3 replacement options for your JV3, in my opinion and no order-

-Mimaki jv33
-Epson GS600
-HP Latex L25500

If you search long enough you will find good and bad listed on all of these. Do you have a supplier that will give you a fair price on one of these and also stand behind it. If so buy it and roll with it. I have the EPSON GS6000 and really wish it had the feed and take-up that my jv3 had.

Letterbox Mike

I'd consider the JV33 as well. I have no experience with Latex, I'm hearing a lot of positive reviews but since it's new technology I'm a little skeptical until it's been performing in the real world for a few years. It does look cool though.

I can say the JV33 is a killer machine, it's sort or "old school" technology nowadays, but it's rock solid reliable. We also have a GS6000 and I cannot say the same thing, it's an overengineered underperformer. Rydaddy is right, the takeup reel is useless, especially compared to the Mimaki's, which is comically simple yet works flawlessly.

If I were looking to replace a JV3, I'd get the JV33, you're familiar with the technology and you'll be extremely satisfied with it.

timder

Thanks Everybody... does anybody have any first hand knowledge on the smell of the JV33 ES3 inks? They claim virtually odorless, wondering if it is BS or not.

Rydaddy

I have a secret dream (not secret anymore) that EPSON has a printer in the works that you can put a roll of media in and actually leave the shop and come back in the morning and be 94% confident that it printed as it should have. I do not let the EPSON GS6000 run very long at all without some attention. I am really happy with how it prints though. I am also comparing it to a jv3 and Insignia has the benefit of comparing it to a jv33 as well. It is very possible I would have been happy with a jv33 as well.

FWIW, if I had to add another printer tomorrow to keep up with increased workflow, I would seriously look for a used CMYK 60+" JV33. But if EPSON comes out with a new one I would look hard at that one too. But it would need to fix the feed and take-up roller and also give me a speed between 720 4 pass and 360. Banners print 720 4 pass BEAUTIFULLY on the EPSON. Almost 2 good. 360 is not useable in my book.

Sorry for the thread Jack. In my book Latex is a little too new for me but I know there are guys on here that sweat by them and I do not doubt that they know what they are talking about. Insignia, I am going to PM you with some ?'s about your EPSON.

Ryan

Rydaddy

Thanks Everybody... does anybody have any first hand knowledge on the smell of the JV33 ES3 inks? They claim virtually odorless, wondering if it is BS or not.

The ss2 inks we used on our jv3 were "mild" when it came to odor. We used Triangle Full solvent the last year we had it and those definitely had to be vented, and not just using the "fan" on the machine to push the fumes out. We had to add unit to increase airflow.

Someone on here has to be able to speak directly of the es3 inks. I can tell you that the only time I smell the inks on the EPSON are when I print directly on pvc (12 mil for my use).

petesign

I use the es3 inks on my jv33.. i cant say they are odorless, but not bad. Better plan on laminating EVERYTHING you print though, they dont have the same bite as the solvent you are used to.

TedNes

I don't sell HP, but I do sell Epson, Mutoh, and Mimaki.....

From a familiarity standpoint, the JV33 will be a walk in the park for you. Operation is very similar to the JV3 you are used to, but with obvious upgrades....

ES3 inks are not odorless, but don't require a massive amount of venting. While they work well for signage, yes, lamination of anything you want more than a year of will be necessary. ES3 inks do offer white and silver options as well, though not many people are exploring these...

Most of our installs nationally go for SS21 inks, which are more aggressive. I'd vent them myself somehow, but many of our customers don't. Venting could be through a charcoal filter system like a CaptivAir or Duster. I've seen others put a bathroom fan in an exterior wall, and run dryer hose(s) from the back of the printer to the exhaust fan. This won't help you on the ink odour going over the post-heater while drying, but it does create positive airflow for ventilation.

Comparing to an HP latex, HP does have the "green" thing in their corner on the ink end. However, when you look at power consumption, we see numbers that are typically 5-7 times more off the HP latex than a comparable size Mimaki or Epson......how green is that?

Remember that HP latex will have you replacing your own printheads every few months or so.....they are not high cost, but still, dozens of printheads a year will add up to thousands of dollars.....The Mimaki JV33 has been on the market for four years now, and we see very few printhead failures leading to replacement.....

Lastly, which materials do you run the most?.....the HP latex employs a WICKED AMOUNT OF HEAT in the dryer set-up to get the inks to dry....some materials simply can't take that heat.......and you need to ask, even if 3M 180 or Avery EZ or whatever other cast of choice, what is that 200+ degree exposure to heat doing to your premium, supple material?

I myself am not convinced on the longevity and viability of Latex inks.....they were introduced in 2008, and in my opinion, if they were the be all and end all, wouldn't someone else have jumped on the Latex bandwagon by now??.....