• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions HP Latex vs Mutoh

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Don't like the bolt and capitalized sentence replied. Opinions are biased. What's your opinion about Mimaki Eco/Mild Solvent vs HP Latex?

My feelings are the same with Mimaki as they are with Roland or any other eco-solvent machine. I can do more applications with Latex and I can do them faster then someone with other types of printers.

Dennis422

My 2 cents.
I used to own Mutoh Falcon Outdoor for about a year. Bought it used and could not wait to sell it. Of course I understand it was an older model and I did not print every day.
I'm a small shop and print a few times a week. I hated that I had to mess with it every day so the heads would not clog. I guess, that is slightly better today on newer printers.
About 3 years ago I purchased used HP L25500, while it had a small learning curve I loved it from the day one. With being an used printer, I did not really know what I would get, but I had it for 2.5 years without any significant issues. All that was wrong was either operators error or a small issue with a printhead that was resolved over the phone with a HP tech.
I sold the printer in July this year and bought new HP L330. That one resolved many issues with first generation of latex printers (L25500 was first gen).
Now, I love latex even more. Prints great, much less grainy prints with use of optimizer (Almost not noticeable, I see it because I know it is there, regular customer will not ever see it). Prints much faster with less passes and much less heat. In another words, a PERFECT printer for my shop.
Now, if you are used to work with Mutoh and did not have any issues, and you have enough work to keep it printing every day, why switch?
Solvent ink penetrates deeper in the vinyl while latex stays mainly on the surface. If you do wraps, that could be an issue on curved corners where you have to stretch the vinyl. Latex printed ones will discolor and show white faster than a solvent printed vinyl.
Both of them have their own advantages, now it is up to you to decide what suits you the best.
For me, Latex is what I need, and I am 100% sure of it (For right now).
If my shop starts printing more, and I determine that Solvent would suit me more in the future, I would not hesitate to switch or at least add it to the process.

Good luck