• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP Scitex FB550 UV Lt Cyan ink not curing

We are trying to print on corrugated plastic using our HP FB550 flatbed and the print has a large area of light cyan. When we print it (high quality, low quality, Head raised, heads lowered) no mater what we have tried so far the ink is tacky to the touch and if try can be rubbed off.
Our bulbs are not old but not new, the power is on high, the ink is at about 60% of a new box.
any ideas or recommendations on how to get it to cure?

Classique Signs

We never had any issues with HP inks not curing but they have had several issues with there inks. Contact them and they will send a replacement normally no questions asked. We spent several thousand dollars replacing print heads and after the fact found out HP had several bad inks that was plugging the print heads. Switched to Nazdar 6 months ago and so far all the issues have gone away and a little better price point. You can replace them one at a time as your HP boxes run empty. I wouldn't change if you are still under warranty.

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
Switching off the HP inks should be a separate subject here I think. The HP ink should still cure and perform as expected.
Adhesion, elongation, and longevity can be symptoms of bad ink batches, but bad ink is very uncommon so I wouldn't pick it as first assumption. Additionally, if the ink was at fault it would likely be "dry" to the touch but failing to adhere. Since you say it's still tacky, it sounds like a curing issue for sure.
You said it's a "new box", but to some people that means a few weeks old. Make sure you shake your ink boxes daily before running so they don't separate. If you haven't been doing that and the ink is over 30 days old, then shake it up good and purge it 5 times to flush fresh stuff in.

Easier medias like vinyl rolls may be scraping by under-cured without you noticing since they behave so much better. The issue may be really showing itself on more difficult media's like coro.
1. Most common curing issue on those models is improper shutter alignment. Validate your shutters are pointing full down and that you're running BOTH shutters to cure for that media. Trailing shutter cure will not be enough for coro. Shutter alignment can be found in the individual calibrations menu I believe (working from memory here).
1a. When checking shutters, those often go completely out of wack due to some software or hardware malfunction. If they clipped or snagged internally they can be completely closed when curing. Those shutters also DO break completely and fail to rotate or can be stuck on an edge internally.
2. Change both bulbs anyway. Just because they are within lifespan doesn't mean you didn't get a dud. I have seen plenty of bulbs last ages past EOL date and equally as many die in half the span. Performance of UV bulbs is very inconsistent.
3. Pro-tip for digital coroplast often untold: Always run less ink and more incremental curing passes. In very short, adhesion-challenged substrates cannot handle the ink loads of better substrates. In the FB printer's case, always run 300dpi at max passes, Outdoor plus. This gives you immediately lower ink densities than your 600 calibration while giving you more curing passes. Note: Blasting the ink with more UV to cure is not the same as incremental curing. More passes cured in succession creates a completely different surface tension and adhesion profile than less passes at higher UV exposure. Also note: An ICC set for 600dpi and 240+ ink limit will always have adhesion problems on that printer on low surface energy substrates like coro.
4. Pro-tip 2: You can run that press all day with your 300dpi profile calibrated on vinyl. But if you run a lot of coro and want the best results for finishing, cutting, and general adhesion, then make "Low Surface Energy" calibration with a total ink limit at like 220 (or your desired limit for your applications and color needs). Will work wonders.

parrott

Good points but that is a lot of unnecessary steps just to cure your ink. How about they make a ink that cures well and don’t flood the market with bad batches (that we have all received). Made a lot of money of their machines but have also lost a TON due to their bad practices and ignoring known issues. They make good introductory level plastic toys but in the long run will cost you a small fortune.

Michael-Nola

I print things. It is very exciting.
Good points but that is a lot of unnecessary steps just to cure your ink. How about they make a ink that cures well and don’t flood the market with bad batches (that we have all received). Made a lot of money of their machines but have also lost a TON due to their bad practices and ignoring known issues. They make good introductory level plastic toys but in the long run will cost you a small fortune.
Oh you're not wrong on any of those statements. Like many others, I can list a litany of HP's sins in hardware, software, customer care, blatant lies, misinformation, scalping, etc it doesn't end. I'm no HP fan and I always show shops alternatives that are faster, cheaper, and higher quality.
But since he's already got one, in this case I would say the machine isn't performing to it's capable standard. There's a curing issue here that can be easily solved. And of course any machine will have curing issues if not working correctly.

After that? Yep I agree, start shopping elsewhere for sure. EOL on those machines is coming soon too so it's time to start planning even for companies that want to keep their FB series.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
So I see some of you are familiar with this sly corporation.
Years ago they got into outdoor durable printing by acquiring the Seiko model and call it the 9000 solvent printer.
It worked quite well but stunk badly.
When they were ready to release their own Latex product so they switched the 9000 inks over to a manufacturer in South Africa.
Within months the ink was killing heads so you had to buy a Latex.
A few years ago they bought Colorspan to get into board printing and now that inks are causing problems on the Uv printers is it a huge coincidence they want you to buy the Latex flatbed?
Lol