• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP T series printer for car stickers

Red/Black86

Hi Guys, I’m hoping someone can help me, I’m already doing sign writing with oracle 651 and a Roland plotter but
I’m seeing more and more people looking for more pictures and intricate details in there stickers and signs that are just not possible to achieve with a layered vinyl process.

I’ve been looking Around and have found some beautiful HP architecture wide format printers for a relatively low outlay.

My question is, is there anyone on here using one of these cad printers to print stickers for cars etc?

My plan was to print on orajet printable vinyl and laminate it then for outdoor use.

I’ve seen a few people on instagram and YouTube using the t630 for printing on vinyl for indoor use but most of my work will be out door on cars, vans, tractors and lorrys

Cheers

Ken

cornholio

With such a setup, you are limiting yourself to a few vinyls, that are microporous or coated otherwise to take waterbased ink. They are more expensive and the outdoor stability may not be up to the standards.
Generally with coated media with lamination, the application on 3d surfaces(cars) won't be a pleasure.
I'm not sure about the lightfastness of the ink as well.

FrankW

The HP T-Series Inks are not made for outdoor prints, they use mostly Dye-Inks which could visibly fade after a few weeks. And they need special coated media to print on.

damonCA21

Really for outdoor use you would be better off with a solvent printer. For a lot of jobs you wouldn't need to laminate them. A solvent print and cut is much better as you don't need to mess about printing on one machine and cutting on another

Red/Black86

Thanks a lot for the information guys, that answers all my questions in relation to the t series. I see that HP say the z series printer is a graphics printer. Would a hp Designjet z6dr be any good for what I need or is it going to have similar problems as the t series?

Cheers

Ken

FrankW

The Z-Series uses pigment inks, it is better than dye inks, but not as good as solvent inks. And pigment inks needing specially coated medias too.

The Z-Series are mainly used for indoor applications on papers, like posters.

damonCA21

Stop looking at HP printers and look at Roland instead. You can get some great deals on used ones, and they are built like tanks. Pretty much everyone I know who prints vehicle graphics uses a Roland solvent print and cut machine