• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

hp touchpad blows away ipad

I have been a loyal Mac guy forever. Had ipads since day one and they are a very important tool for me. 2 weeks ago I was given a HP touch pad and after reading reviews was not impressed with the webos. Then I learned touch pad could be hacked very easily to run cyanogen android 9. So yup I hacked it with simple internet direction and android forums. Super easy..

The touch pad with cyanogen performance blows away the ipad2. You also get all access to all android apps.

You can now buy a HP touch pad via amazon or whatever for under $300 do the cyanogen upgrade for free and have a tablet way better than an $700 iPad. Hands down......

Just thought I would share this gem...

David Wright

I have the Ipad2 and bought my son and his wife the hp touchpad 16g for Christmas.
Other than Android apps I can't see messing with WebOs which is an outstanding OS
They seem to like it a lot.

Too many good business and productivity apps on the Ipad for me to consider anything else.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Recently got a Motorola Xoom myself. Currently has Android Honeycomb but an ice Cream Sandwhich update is coming soon for it. :) First tablet I've had and must admit - the thing is dang convenient and there are an insane amount of apps you can get.

Forgot to add with the Cyanogen 9.0 mod it allows tochpad to be dual boot with no performance lag. So if you want to use Webos you can still use it.

Point is that if you want a tablet that rivals iPad or Superior in my opinion from using both...
Find a touch pad as they are on amazon for about $300. Do the cyanogengen mod and you have a tablet that smokes ipad2 for a fraction of the price... and that is apples to apples performance...

signswi

Recently got a Motorola Xoom myself. Currently has Android Honeycomb but an ice Cream Sandwhich update is coming soon for it. :) First tablet I've had and must admit - the thing is dang convenient and there are an insane amount of apps you can get.

Google owns Motorola Mobility now so expect some interesting things on the touchpad front in a couple years, once they figure out the merger. Mostly purchased for the patent portfolio but I fully expect Google to use Motorola devices as the flagship "Nexus" devices after a while.

Kevin-shopVOX

I have been a loyal Mac guy forever. Had ipads since day one and they are a very important tool for me. 2 weeks ago I was given a HP touch pad and after reading reviews was not impressed with the webos. Then I learned touch pad could be hacked very easily to run cyanogen android 9. So yup I hacked it with simple internet direction and android forums. Super easy..

The touch pad with cyanogen performance blows away the ipad2. You also get all access to all android apps.

You can now buy a HP touch pad via amazon or whatever for under $300 do the cyanogen upgrade for free and have a tablet way better than an $700 iPad. Hands down......

Just thought I would share this gem...
+1 I just put CM9 on my phone this past weekend. (its the same OS for an android phone or tablet) 4.0 is the shizzle. I have an ipad as well and prefer the interface with 4.0. Really intuitive, chrome browser, and a bunch more stuff that are really sweet. It turned my aging Epic 4G into a brand new toy. Love it.

Freese

I love the Android OS. The Apple OS to me is stale and too universal. I tend to think people who are more tech-y included should always use Android. Plus the integration with all things Google is a huge plus.

HulkSmash

I have 2.

I have the Motorola Xoom, the family edition one

And i have a Asus Transformer..

I paid like 399 for each of them, and they both perform circles around the ipad2.

Love it.

Freese

I have 2.

I have the Motorola Xoom, the family edition one

And i have a Asus Transformer..

I paid like 399 for each of them, and they both perform circles around the ipad2.

Love it.

I suggest "obtaining" the GTA3 tablet edition for the Transformer (or any Android tablet) I have a stock Transformer about a year old and the graphics and game run perfectly on it.

I love my ASUS and I didn't even toot it like I did with my EVO. A guy next to me on the plane had a Toshiba Thrive...it has external USB slots...dude had a 16GB flash drive loaded with pirated media.....made me think about my next purchase.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Google owns Motorola Mobility now so expect some interesting things on the touchpad front in a couple years, once they figure out the merger. Mostly purchased for the patent portfolio but I fully expect Google to use Motorola devices as the flagship "Nexus" devices after a while.

The Xoom was already an official GED (Google Experience Device) :). Part of why it is so popular since it runs plain native Android code with no aftermarket interface (launcher) etc enhancements and are not bios locked down to prevent rooting. They are already pushing ICS to the Wifi only Xooms now and the 3G/4G Xooms are in testing now for ICS updates. Little more complex on the 3G/4G model due to the wireless radios and ensuring proper operation with the wireless cell networks. I'm patiently waiting though - rather wait for a bit and have a bug free build. I did try a build from XDA though when I still had it rooted and have to admit - very much looking forward to ICS. Much more polished and smooth but the ICS build I tried back in December was still buggy and was missing some of the hardware drivers. Current builds sound like they are working excellent.

2972renfro

The Xoom was already an official GED (Google Experience Device) :). Part of why it is so popular since it runs plain native Android code with no aftermarket interface (launcher) etc enhancements and are not bios locked down to prevent rooting. They are already pushing ICS to the Wifi only Xooms now and the 3G/4G Xooms are in testing now for ICS updates. Little more complex on the 3G/4G model due to the wireless radios and ensuring proper operation with the wireless cell networks. I'm patiently waiting though - rather wait for a bit and have a bug free build. I did try a build from XDA though when I still had it rooted and have to admit - very much looking forward to ICS. Much more polished and smooth but the ICS build I tried back in December was still buggy and was missing some of the hardware drivers. Current builds sound like they are working excellent.

... and 90% of the population have no idea what you are talking about. Android is perfect for the fiddlers and tweakers. The majority of the population don't care about this or know how they just want something that works without having to twiddle around with it. That is why the ipad outsells every other tablet. it just works, plain and simple Sure you cannot tweak it and it does not play flash but that is certainly not hurting it in anyway

Plus there are so many versions of android tablet devices. Some can use the latest os updates while others dont. Some play flash fine and others are bogged down, lose battery life, etc. Too confusing for the mass market.

With ipads, they all are basically the same. Your ios updates work with all of them

2972renfro

Think about. There is no reason Apple couldn't build the fastest ipod, ipad, computer out there. They have access to the same technology and knowledge that every other tech company has.

It is not always about speed but rather the entire experience. Every ipad runs the exact same software

Not every tablet/phone runs the same ios in the android world and this can be confusing to consumers. You cannot apply the same updates/tweaks for each tablet.

David Wright

the Ipad 2 has 512k ram, half of even some of the lamest Android tablets have.
The cameras are terrible, the rear (high quality one?) is 0.92 mega pixel, yes less than one. No card readers, mini usb or regular usb connectors.
So spec wise they fall way short except in screen display. As just previously posted, Apple is about working simply out of the box and user experience is everything.

That is not what many people like including me but I bought one because the Android I did have (Viewsonic Gtablet) has no good apps compared to Apples. That is still the case but will change. Unlike other Apple products this one is the first to be competitively priced.

This is changing and if ICS for Android delivers along with good quality apps the gap will close. Of course for a large segment you just slap an Apple on it and that is what they want. Lemmings will always exist.

omgsideburns

Neato!

Not sure what else I would use it for here though but that's nice to know in case I need another tablet for something.

I like my iPad, and I use a VNC app to connect to other computers in our shop when I'm not close to them (which I'm sure is available on all the android and windows and whatever tablets).

As far as speed, memory, etc.. I'll stay out of that. You guys have fun.

2972renfro

And don't forget. All of you guys talking about ports and other extras. That is not what the ipad is all about.

As soon as you place a half dozen ports, slots, etc. you cannibalize sales of netbooks and notebooks. Netbooks have taken a serious hit due to all of the tablets available

If you want flash, Apple supports it on all desktops and laptops. I believe the shortcoming of the camera on the ipad will be addressed on the next ipad 3

Apple is "thinking different". They are taking away slots, ports so you don't have all of these things hanging off of it, making it thicker, heavier etc.

They have even taken away removable media from their lower end computers - mac min and macbook air.