• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP360 86:01 Error - Paper Jam, but no actual obstruction - Carriage seems difficult to move

MarkH42

Our HP360 latex printer has been throwing an 86:01 code. It will not initialize unless you change it to start in diagnostics mode. When you run the scan axis test, the carriage moves a foot or so then shows an 86:01 error. I have tried the Carriage Lubrication test and I get a 42:?? error (can't recall the second set of numbers) - "current too high in the motor", which seems like the motor is working too hard to move the carriage. Here is what I have tried so far:

We lubricated the rails, as we have always done on a regular basis.
We checked the rails for any obstructions or rough places
The printer is overdue for Maintenance Kit #3, just FYI. I took the felts off of either end of the carriage and looked them over, cleaned them up, lubricated them and put it back together.
Removed the end cap and took the carriage completely off of the printer. Looked for anything out of the ordinary - saw nothing, lubricated everything again.
Looked over the wire tray to ensure the wires weren't getting in the way.
Had a service guy overnight a used but working scan axis motor and replaced that
None of these things helped (I tried after eash of the above steps)

I tried to update the firmware, even though the version we have is up to date, but it gets to 99% and stops - may try that again later after posting this.

I took some "fish scales" that we use to calibrate our laminators and measured the force required to move the carriage when powered down. It requires 7-8 pounds of force to move the carriage. When you turn the motor by hand when it is powered down, there is some resistance in the motor. I removed the belt and moved the carriage without any motor resistance and it seems pretty smooth.
I powered down our HP310 latex printer, which I'm told has a smaller scan axis motor, and it only requires 3.5-4 lbs. of force to move the carriage. I assume the larger motor is the reason for the extra force, but I'm not sure.
I removed the tensioner and checked the bearing in the pulley wheel. It seems to move freely but I oiled it to see if that helped.

None of the above is helping and I really need to get this printer back in action. Do any of you have any ideas for the next thing to try? I appreciate the input! I am going to order the Maintenance Kit #3 parts because we need to do that anyway, but I'm finding it hard to believe something in that kit is the problem.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
For starters, your 310 and 360 have the same exact motor&carriage. In theory there should be really no difference to the force between the two.
Faulty motor is usually easy to spot if it's difficult to spin the shaft by hand. The spin should be easy and free. If it feels "poky" it's usually bad.
So maybe try your know good 310 motor to your 360?

I think motor is your issue but if it doesn't work even with the 310 motor, next I would clean the encoder and the sensor in the carriage.

Then next step is to inspect the trailing data cable and replace it if it's worn out bad. You can search more info on the forum about that, I've wrote plenty about it.

Lastly it could be that you have a faulty PCA that controls the motor. But that is very unlikely.

Also put the carriage at the middle of the platen before you start the printer. Then see where it stops with the error. If it stops free on the way to the end or bangs at the stop and then gives the error it might mean different things.

MarkH42

This is solid advice and I'm going to install the motor from our 310. I was told the motors are different. It could be that the used motor that was sent to us is also bad. I'll report back and thanks!

Dan360

FWIW I had a very similar situation with our 360 about 3 years ago. Everything was pointing to motor but motor was replaced the prior year.

I ended up fixing it by turning off the printer, cleaning and then lubing the rails (top and bottom rails, with carriage parked at both ends) maybe 3-4 times and manually moving the carriage back and forth a few times after each lubrication. Has been fine since.

ToTo

Professional Support
Just loosen belt and move carriage by hand. If it doesn’t runs smoothly replace front rod oiler and felts kit. Normally the felts are collecting a mixture of aerosol , ink and oil which causes high friction.