• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP5500 air in ink line

Bly

Hi all. I had a problem running a job today.
I replaced a light magenta head which was on it's last legs yesterday afternoon. Of course it was full black on Ilford polyester film, an expensive combination to screw up especially when the prints are 2.4 x 1.2 metre pullup banner prints.
So I set the job up for my worker to run this morning, came in and noticed that in 3 of the prints some light grey text had printed green instead.
The printer told me the new head was faulty. Further investigation showed air in that ink line.
Anyone know how to purge the air? Any idea what might cause the problem?

Thanks in advance.

jens

pull out the head,
and use a siringe with needle to pull the air out of the lines.
It could be that you have a leak , then you have to replace all ink lines.

eye4clr

Sometimes the ink cartridges don't seat well enough. As best you can, make sure you've got a good seal.

Bly

No good. I syringed the air from the printhead connection and as soon as I pulled the syringe out the air just ran back into the line.. looks like the seal is shagged. I ordered a new set of ink tubes - Nearly a grand.
Still, cheaper than a new printer especially when I just put a new motor in the thing a month or two ago.
For a unit 6 or 7 years old you have to expect a few things to wear out I guess.

Bly

Update on this. It seems there was an seal dislodged in the ink line near the print head so it looks like we've solved the problem.
By "we" I mean my assistant lol. He saved me a few bucks at a rough time financially, thankfully.