• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HP570 Spectrophotometer Door and Color Calibration

rdm01

I recently replaced the door to our spectrophotometer (the little black plastic hook busted off) and also replaced the door actuator (the cause of the break). With all that working fine, I set out to calibrate some media, as it hadn't been done in months and our prints seem to be coming out exceptionally pinkish/warm.

I've calibrated one media fine (an intermediate vinyl), but all others seem to fail, noting that the white point is out of the expected range. The spectrophotometer is working fine, as is the actuator and door. I've tested and torn everything apart and put it back together.

I've tried to calibrate in low light, turning off overhead lamps and blocking the window. Our space is well lit, naturally and artificially, so I haven't felt the need to add lighting unless someone recommends it.

Is there something else that could be contributing to my issues with getting outdated media calibrations up to date?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
So few questions.
Where did you borrow the door from?
Did you transfer the original white point to the new door?
How did the ESP test perform?

rdm01

So few questions.
Where did you borrow the door from?
Did you transfer the original white point to the new door?
How did the ESP test perform?

The door came from a tech, who had a unit whose casing was good but internals were bad.
I wasn't aware this should be done. I have the old door, should I transfer the white material from one to the other?
I'm not aware of this test either. Where could I find it.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
The door came from a tech, who had a unit whose casing was good but internals were bad.
I wasn't aware this should be done. I have the old door, should I transfer the white material from one to the other?
I'm not aware of this test either. Where could I find it.
Well I would. The spectro is calibrated at factory with that specific white point.
Test is in the diagnostics.
Anyway, if you have had it for a while with the door open the sensor might be dirty etc. Or that white point is dirty on the door.
Could just be faulty who knows.

rdm01

Well I would. The spectro is calibrated at factory with that specific white point.
Test is in the diagnostics.
Anyway, if you have had it for a while with the door open the sensor might be dirty etc. Or that white point is dirty on the door.
Could just be faulty who knows.

I can't imagine the subtle difference between the two white points throwing this error-especially when the sensor is designed to measure the white points of different media.

I did clean the lens, the door, and the white chip when installing.

jawdavis

try carefully removing the color sensor cable and reseating it properly. we have had a ton of issues with our color sensors breaking off of 3 diff printers and have had to get creative on reattaching them. the cables are very fragile and bending the small metal contacts on either end can cause erratic communications errors. it should seat snugly into the carriage with the blue film side up.