• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HTV issues.

Eforcer

Recently had a client bring back 5 sweat pants. Pressed logo 7 inches from the top left leg. Vinyl was coming off. We blew out the rest and tried DTF and didn't work either So we screen printed them and worked. We basically figured that individuals sweat had an adverse effect on the adhesive. But now, our soccer client with a whole lot of jerseys, is complaining and bringing them back. Parents are bringing uniforms to have fixed. Vinyl numbers on backs are coming off. Shirts are 100% Poly. Third year doing them. These shirts are this seasons. Called the HTV provider and basically said we should press medium pressure at 330 degrees / 12 seconds. We have been pressing for a decade 300/12 seconds. 3 different heat presses we use. Never an issue. BTW only on premium white vinyl.

Anyone else having these issues?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
Were the items previously washed? I have had issues when people wash their clothes and they use fabric softener, the vinyl will fall off. I just had a customer two days ago that brought me a shirt to press. The vinyl wouldn't stick to it at all. I had to wash the area with dawn detergent to break up the softener. No problems after that.

I do the jerseys all the time for the little leagues and Ive never had a problem with them.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Is it Siser HTV? You said premium but that means something different to different people.

I do not believe it would be sweat. I do shirts for landscapers sweating outside all day and no issues.

Are you heat presses plates the same temp as you have them set at? Not that the presses have burned out elements or something.

Eforcer

Were the items previously washed? I have had issues when people wash their clothes and they use fabric softener, the vinyl will fall off. I just had a customer two days ago that brought me a shirt to press. The vinyl wouldn't stick to it at all. I had to wash the area with dawn detergent to break up the softener. No problems after that.

I do the jerseys all the time for the little leagues and Ive never had a problem with them.
No, jerseys still had the tags. We have teams keep tags on them to inform us of the numbers on that jersey.

unclebun

If the manufacturer says press at 330, then 300 isn't fully activating the adhesive. In addition, the temperature you set on the dial does not necessarily mean that the platen is that temperature, and it can drift over time. Most likely you've been underpressing your graphics for years and drift has caused it to underpress worse lately.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I got some siser vinyl from GSG once that had been sitting in the warehouse for a while and got hot. It failed. Perhaps that has happened.

Eforcer

If the manufacturer says press at 330, then 300 isn't fully activating the adhesive. In addition, the temperature you set on the dial does not necessarily mean that the platen is that temperature, and it can drift over time. Most likely you've been underpressing your graphics for years and drift has caused it to underpress worse lately.
This is the first year I have had this issue.

Eforcer

I got some siser vinyl from GSG once that had been sitting in the warehouse for a while and got hot. It failed. Perhaps that has happened.
I purchase 10 yards at a time. Good for awhile. BTW It is Thermo not premium. Last ordered in December

Superior_Adam

Check all of your presses to make sure they are at the actual set temperature. Over time they can lose some of that or a temp sensor can fail. If the manufacturer says 330 and you are at 300 that is part of the problem. I always double check time/temp/pressure settings as over the years formulations have changed in the material and those values have slightly changed.

Eforcer

Check all of your presses to make sure they are at the actual set temperature. Over time they can lose some of that or a temp sensor can fail. If the manufacturer says 330 and you are at 300 that is part of the problem. I always double check time/temp/pressure settings as over the years formulations have changed in the material and those values have slightly changed.
It is happening on the roll we last received. We've done so much lately I ordered 25 yds still in the box. Not opening to we can figure it out Yes heat gun shows sporadic heat levels. NO brainier checking that

Superior_Adam

It is happening on the roll we last received. We've done so much lately I ordered 25 yds still in the box. Not opening to we can figure it out Yes heat gun shows sporadic heat levels. NO brainier checking that
Well i dont trust a heat gun to check them as sometimes you can get wrong readings. They make strips to place on the platen that are more accurate. but if your heat gun is showing sporadic heat levels you may not even be getting to 300 degrees when the directions say 330 degrees. I would fix the heat issue and do testing first.