• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

HUGE tip for those using the Roland Color System

Colin

I've been using the Roland color palette system so far, but have found out one very critical point which many will likely not know.

To use the system properly, you have printed-off the large Roland pallete (on the vinyl/media you use) as a reference - right? Well, the Roland colour value (chosen from your printed Roland Colour Library) is not really chosen (on your print-jobs) until the "Convert Spot Color" box is checked!!! (This box is found under the "Settings" section in VersaWorks, under the "File Format" tab).

Without being checked, the values represented are CMYK percentages. It is odd that Roland set it up this way. Why would one choose the Roland spot colour but then not use it? It would be more appropriate to have the box labelled "Don't Convert Colour" to leave it with the design program's CMYK colours.

Another tip: You don't have to print off a new reference color palette, as it always prints off with the "Convert Spot Color" feature as "ON". (The palette is printed off in VersaWorks under the "Edit" > "Queue A Settings" tab at the top, not from the regular settings tab that you would use for a regular print job).

So on any job where you refer to your chart for a color and apply a Roland code number to the graphic, be sure to check tha "Convert Spot Color" option as decribed above when you go to print it.

Hope this helps.

ucmj22

Also, If you want to print a spot color with a transparency, or gradient, convert them to the CMYK values in your design program then in the rip use the color management preset: Density control only. this will give you nearly 100% accurate color to swatch print

TAAG

Also,,, how do I get this pallet to stay on?? When I close down Illustrator it goes off..

Thanks

Colin

As I don't use Illy, I can't help you there. Anybody else?

Here's the option that one must click "on" in order for the Roland Palette System to work. The default is "off".

Attachments

• Convert Spot Color.jpg
    Convert Spot Color.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 220
Also,,, how do I get this pallet to stay on?? When I close down Illustrator it goes off..

Thanks

In the upper-right corner of the palette's window is an arrow. Click this arrow to open a flyout of options. You are looking for one called Persistent.

dweavers

Also, If you want to print a spot color with a transparency, or gradient, convert them to the CMYK values in your design program then in the rip use the color management preset: Density control only. this will give you nearly 100% accurate color to swatch print
wow your a life saver, my roland color system library works brilliantly but when it comes to gradiants it is very poor, following your instructions worked

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
I've been using the Roland color palette system so far, but have found out one very critical point which many will likely not know.

To use the system properly, you have printed-off the large Roland pallete (on the vinyl/media you use) as a reference - right? Well, the Roland colour value (chosen from your printed Roland Colour Library) is not really chosen (on your print-jobs) until the "Convert Spot Color" box is checked!!! (This box is found under the "Settings" section in VersaWorks, under the "File Format" tab).

Without being checked, the values represented are CMYK percentages. It is odd that Roland set it up this way. Why would one choose the Roland spot colour but then not use it? It would be more appropriate to have the box labelled "Don't Convert Colour" to leave it with the design program's CMYK colours.

Another tip: You don't have to print off a new reference color palette, as it always prints off with the "Convert Spot Color" feature as "ON". (The palette is printed off in VersaWorks under the "Edit" > "Queue A Settings" tab at the top, not from the regular settings tab that you would use for a regular print job).

So on any job where you refer to your chart for a color and apply a Roland code number to the graphic, be sure to check tha "Convert Spot Color" option as decribed above when you go to print it.

Hope this helps.
In the Edit Menu, you can edit the standard settings of Queue A and B to always have this checked, and also any other settings you may use constantly, A and/or B can be set up for your most common jobs.

dweavers

In the Edit Menu, you can edit the standard settings of Queue A and B to always have this checked, and also any other settings you may use constantly, A and/or B can be set up for your most common jobs.
Thanks for that tip

Patentagosse

Question: I'm not having issues printing my gradients (or very rarely) but I'm curious to do some testings when I'll find some spare times (!!!) My concern is regarding the actual colors output... If my prints are perfect with actual formula (Generic Vinyl 1 v2 with True Rich Color 2), the fact I'll opt for Density Control Only to test gradients will/may affect the solid colors next to the gradients (?) For example, I'm printing a file for my friend which has a nice blue (Avery Vivid Blue as reference) and the output is just PERFECT MATCH so maybe if I'm testing this blue and set some gradients and transparent blue side-by-side, the fade may be perfect but it may have affected the solid blue color because I'm no longer in True Rich 2 setting.

Everything this guy send me just amazing hit the target everytime. He works on Illustrator using Euroscale profil he embeds in his files at saving and on my side I print on Oracal 3751GPS using forementioned settings in VW and everyone's happy.

Here I'm working with FlexiSign 10 and get similar results. I'm printing for other small shops or printing shops (trade) and the only times I'm facing issues with colormatch is from Corel files. Not saying Corel is not good, just that the girl using it haven't properly set it up (TBH, she's not a geek at all, she doesn't carved signs but she's taking special requests from actual clients for some printed signs).

Last edited:

StephenOrange

Eater of cake. Maker of .
Back in earlier versions this wasn’t an option. And given the age of the post it would certainly not have been one.

Caw

Minister of Percussive Maintenance

Thanks
Snip1.JPG
Click here on the open pallet.

Snip2.JPG
Make sure "Persistent" is clicked. It's not perfect and sometimes the pallet disappears, but that's illustrator for ya!

Kemik

I sell stickers and sticker accessories.
Pretty sure even in version 5 you couldn't select which q the chipcharts was sent too? No biggy though
I don't recall saying anything about sending a chip chart to a different que, just that you can adjust the standard settings for que A and B so that you don't have to constantly make the same changes every time you load in a new job.