• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hugh File size. Help! Illustrator / Photoshop Expert needed.

ExtremeG Alamosa

HI All,
I 'inherited' and absolute %$##!! Logo from another designer. The file size is approaching 600mb. AS you can see from the the screenshot there is a lot going on. (Yes the Logo Sucks,but the customer want's it).

There is a background image of the hills and trees that I have traced, but not expanded. Tracing has taken care of the pixelation problem when sizing. If I expand the image the image has a million points.
On top of the image is a complicated barbwire vector.

Is there any way to make this file usable?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    404.8 KB · Views: 369
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    123.9 KB · Views: 165
  • Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    81.5 KB · Views: 184

ProColorGraphics

On the latest CC version anyways, you can right click with the image selected and choose "simplify". It does a decent job of reducing the number of nodes. I have the Astute plugins, which have several helpful tools too.

Johnny Best

Can't you bring it into Photoshop and save at high res .psd or .jpg and thenscale it to the size you need with ON1 sizing software.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The complex looking nodes on the barbed wire look like a gradient mesh to me. It shouldn't be making the file size so big. I'd click the, "Show All" button and see if there are some hidden images in the file that you can't see. Also, look at your layers. There is a drop down arrow available for the Clip Group. I bet there's some stuff in there causing issues. Anytime I see clipping masks on someone else's file I know I'm in for trouble.

ExtremeG Alamosa

The complex looking nodes on the barbed wire look like a gradient mesh to me. It shouldn't be making the file size so big. I'd click the, "Show All" button and see if there are some hidden images in the file that you can't see. Also, look at your layers. There is a drop down arrow available for the Clip Group. I bet there's some stuff in there causing issues. Anytime I see clipping masks on someone else's file I know I'm in for trouble.
Every section of the barbed wire had its own clipping mask. It. Was. Terrible.
Flatten transparency reduced the file size to be manageable. Thanks all.

tulsagraphics

Select everything - object - flatten transparency should help.

Or take a screenshot of the original image and run it through upscaling software such as Topaz Gigapixel and you should have a good image.

How big do you need the print to be?
Well hawt dam! I've got a ton of tools, but haven't tried Topaz yet... until tonight. Totally kick azz! Thanks for the tip! Check out this quick, 5 minute test run. Sheez!

Attachments

• Illustrator_8nwhvgUsA5.png
    Illustrator_8nwhvgUsA5.png
    584.4 KB · Views: 95

tulsagraphics

On the latest CC version anyways, you can right click with the image selected and choose "simplify". It does a decent job of reducing the number of nodes. I have the Astute plugins, which have several helpful tools too.
Yeah, Astute is pretty awesome. I only use a handful of their plugins since I'm not a dedicated designer (thankfully), but they're a gem to have!

tulsagraphics

HI All,
I 'inherited' and absolute %$##!! Logo from another designer. The file size is approaching 600mb. AS you can see from the the screenshot there is a lot going on. (Yes the Logo Sucks,but the customer want's it).

There is a background image of the hills and trees that I have traced, but not expanded. Tracing has taken care of the pixelation problem when sizing. If I expand the image the image has a million points.
On top of the image is a complicated barbwire vector.

Is there any way to make this file usable?
Want a huge file? Wait til a designer send you AI files embedded with 3D elements. I'm working on a storefront wrap right now (approx 400sq.ft. of large "steampunk-style-gears)... all vector.. sitting at 12GBs. :eek: