• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hypocrisy...or is it?

John Butto

"It's a beautiful day..."

I make purchases from wherever I get the best deal on the best product. Total deal, not necessarily price alone. If that's down the block or across the planet, it matters not to me. My lack of interest in 'buying local' is total.

In a free market, the best of all economic systems, businesses come and go based on their ability to do business. Loyalty merely because a business happens to be located in your village is, for the most part, misplaced. I my entire little hamlet were to collapse tomorrow because of economic disinterest, it might be an interesting curiosity but it wouldn't have any particular effect on the course of history.

You, me, everyone, remains in business not because of their neighbors, but because of their acumen.

Obviously Bob, you and Fred did not get the message Fred Rogers sent out.

threeputt

:goodpost: Business is business and I deal with who provides me the best combination of quality, price and service with some attention paid to relationships and niceties.

More and more I'm coming to agree with Fred's assessment. I like the part about "some attention paid to relationships and niceties", though. Though it certainly is a factor in buying decisions, it just doesn't "weigh" as much as some other factors.

I have to say, in the last couple of years my attitude (is that the right word?) about this topic has shifted some. I'm more inclined to think globally regarding commercial dealings.

My buddy has a web site, beautiful thing, built entirely in India. Does that help the local guys? Probably not. However, if his fledgling business succeeds, then he does pour more money back into this region. Correct?

Techman

Ive been doing business with a company for 20 years.
I buy patches by the hundreds. This alst order they attempted to charge me a $20 bux "convenience fee". That and a few other details such as their demand to pay in advance when I previously had a 30 day account caused me to seek out other patch suppliers.

To bad for them and any other company that resorts to tactics like this. They are causing their own disloyalty.

tsgstl

That and a few other details such as their demand to pay in advance when I previously had a 30 day account caused me to seek out other patch suppliers.

I could be totally wrong and I apologize if I am, but I am pretty sure you have preached this practice in multiple other threads with NO exceptions.

Bigcat_hunter

I just went to three local stores to buy some camo pants for turkey hunting. I bought them online for 1/2 the price and I don't feel bad about it.

Techman

I could be totally wrong and I apologize if I am, but I am pretty sure you have preached this practice in multiple other threads with NO exceptions.

I assume you are trying to point out a hypocrisy?

That's right. I do require paid in advance for my own business. You want something from my shop? Pay when you order. But I produce custom made items on time without excuses.

But in this case I had a 30 day net with this company for two over decades. And now will use this net 30 account because the guy's past negative behavior warrants it. If they want to be paid in advance they need to deliver a product on time without excuses and without some lame ripoff fee in order to rebuild trust. Like I said. Times have changed.

threeputt

I just went to three local stores to buy some camo pants for turkey hunting. I bought them online for 1/2 the price and I don't feel bad about it.

The only problem I might have with that is that quite often people use the "brick and mortar" store to actually see the product, try it on for size (if clothing item) discuss the pros and cons with the salesman, etc. and generally assure themselves that it is indeed the exact product they want.

Then they go on-line to buy it, completely confident that it ....will fit, is the right product for the job, etc. etc. All because the "brick and mortar" store had it in-stock. And they had a salesman there to answer questions.

If you need those services offered by the 'brick and mortar' store, and avail yourself of them, then go on-line to buy, then I believe you should take a long look inside you and check for qualities of character.

Baz

How many of you buy a tool ... Use it for what you need and bring it back after, saying it wasn't exactly what you were looking for. I hear those stories often and it seems many people don't have any issues with that either. Things like this and Threeput's example bother me allot more than just buying something online/out of your local area.

A retail store in Australia just started charging people 5$ to look around. The complaint was what Threeput reffered to.

threeputt

I have a friend who is retired now from owning two camera stores. Nice stores, too. Full line of cameras, supplies, everything.

I was golfing with him one day and he said one of his biggest problems was just that. Buyers coming in with no idea what they need and his salaried salesmen working it all out with them, leaning on the counter showing them all kinds of cameras, etc spening tons of time all to have them say, " ok, sounds good. I'll get back to you" and you know the familiar story. They go on-line and purchase it for 60% of what his price was.

Very depressing he said.

threeputt

How many of you buy a tool ... Use it for what you need and bring it back after, saying it wasn't exactly what you were looking for. I hear those stories often and it seems many people don't have any issues with that either. Things like this and Threeput's example bother me allot more than just buying something online/out of your local area.

I've heard sometimes women will do this with dresses. Tuck the tags up out of sight if they can, wear 'em to the party, then take it back.

I used play golf with the manager of Lowes. He said they are well aware of the "use it, and then the next day, "oh, it wasn't what I wanted" guys. Their return policy is pretty liberal though and they usually bite the bullet on it.

Some people use them as a "rental" store, he said. Grrrrr....