• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I AM BUYING THIS MACHINE TOMORROW UNLESS YOU TELL ME OTHERWISE...... Roland UV mG640

APCInk

Merchant Member
I have decided after many failures with my HP to upgrade to a Roland UV specifically this one in link. Any feedback, advice, pitfalls to avoid or harsh warnings welcome. It hits all the marks for my shop, better color, scratch resistant, size, simplicity, speed, power needs, venting is ok etc... I am mostly concerned with consistency and reliability. Will this machine let me down on large long runs? Or is it a good robust workhorse?

any feedback greatly appreciated

/ https://uscutter.com/roland-mg-640-...H6dYOhZVF6KWnc6_CPwkgxPrQM9MUICYaAlKLEALw_wcB
Hey there Depps have you seen the Mimaki UCJV300 series? These are great production printers and def workhorses! The new pricing on the 300's are really good and the 330' is a great fast production printer!

depps74

We run an mg640 along side an epson but there’s no way I would run one as my only printer. It’s far too slow. Below is what I posted on another thread about roll to roll uv printers. You’d be better off with an epson s80600.

You can print white and cmyk in a single pass on the Roland. Gloss varnish is added on a second pass, so if you’re buying for the spot gloss effect, it will be even slower. Roland will print matte and gloss effect like the Colorado, UV inks are matte by default anyway.

How clean is your shop? Dust is a huge issue with spot gloss. We have never had an issue with dust or debris in the prints but spot gloss shows everything. If you run an extractor for the smell, it sucks in dust from the room so you need to set up a clean room.

Other than that they are really smelly, black ink is not opaque, prints are rough and tough to laminate, and it cleans for 1-2 minutes before every job. We bought one for decals and it seems to make the vinyl brittle too, so not great for that either. Cutter accuracy is also poor after using Summa cutters.

Honestly I don’t see the point of roll to roll uv printers. We thought we could offer more with this machine but it has been disappointing.”
All m jobs are matte finish, my shop is very clean no wood or metal fabrication just graphics no dust kicking up. We also don't laminate. I mostly am concerned about long runs for wallpapers that can be 12 feet high by 50 feet long. Want to avoid color shifting and banding mid job.

depps74

check this thread out:

About the LG series, I'm sure there are significant differences compared to the MG but maybe you'll see something useful.

I think the Roland UV printers are more for specialty work/effects rather than a general purpose wide format printer, far better options for common applications

Have you looked at Epson R series? Which HP printer are you replacing
the 315, I've really tried with this HP it just doesn't print consistently.