• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I am stupid: measuring and layout tiled murals and corners.........

depps74

I am really stupid when it comes to tiling out jobs for walls with corners. My brain just cant think straight when there is a mural that needs to go around a corner or double back. I have learned to leave 2" bleed on all sides and to overlap corners with 2". My problem is the math, I get so confused trying to keep it straight in my head. Where should one tile end and where the other begin, taking away 2" here and overlapping 2" there. ughhhh it ties my brain in knots. To be honest I dont even know how to ask the question. Maybe I am making it harder than it needs to be? Are there any apps that automate/ help lay out the big jobs for rooms with corners and weird spots to go over and around? Feel free to just call me an idiot here, but if anyone does know a simple equation or an app, maybe there is a corner option in Onyx I am missing???

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Just treat the corner like any other overlap. The corner doesn't really do anything other than dictate that you tile the panels there.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
You might be over thinking. I try not to let the rip do things unless I fully know what it's going to do. Id sooner tile thing's in Illy. That said... What Tex said. I don't understand why a square corner should be such a problem.

depps74

Just treat the corner like any other overlap. The corner doesn't really do anything other than dictate that you tile the panels there.
The way I have been doing it in Onyx is that I slide the tile marker line 2 inches back and forth from the corner measure manually which involves a lot of math. I think this is it though: I will set up entire job with tiles pinpointed to corners then add 2 inches overlap via the onyx RIP overlap feature that does it automatic and print those tiles first, x'ing out the non corner tiles, then reset to .5" for the non cornering tiles. That should work yes? The goal here is to avoid my brain from manual and too much math. I just get super confused for some reason on this and it drives me nuts.

Last edited: