• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I dont believe in coincidences... bad cartridge?

petesign

Today I was out on an install and let the printer run while I was gone. I get a phone call from someone here at the shop, and he's asking me what to do after putting in a new ink cartridge. (you know, the whole, push enter, then push remote thing) .... I come back and the banners ive printed for the last 2 days are one color of blue, and the ones from today are another... and I can see where the switch happened in the middle of a print, the color shifted immediately.

Now, i have reprinted one (by the way, 50 linear feet now dont match and this all goes up tomorrow) - and on the reprint it starts out a dark blue, and ends up the lighter blue. No harsh change, just a nice gradient over the entire print. Both colors are consistent.... And here's what the old carts look like vs the new ones.

My thinking is, he didnt gently shake the cart before loading it, and now I need to run a flush... or maybe its a bad cart? Throw away that cart because the ink wasnt mixed? Doesnt make sense though, those carts sit on the machine for a week or more sometimes too... but its definitely a slow starvation on magenta now over time. I was able to duplicate the color shift ply playing with CMYK sliders in illustrator from the original blue.. and that's spot on. Ideas?

Attachments

• 20151208_190045_resized.jpg
    20151208_190045_resized.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 20151208_193429_resized.jpg
    20151208_193429_resized.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 95

petesign

Swapped cartridge, printed 20 feet... same result... lightens up over the print. So that's out. Guess ill order a capping station, pump, and dampers tomorrow.

petesign

Replaced both the Cyan and Magenta dampers. Cap, and pump. Still getting a color fade from beginning of 10 ft print to the end. It starts darker and fades lighter.

Attachments

• color-change1.jpg
    color-change1.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 93
  • color-change-2.jpg
    color-change-2.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 93