• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I Hate to See it Happen

WildWestDesigns

A small computer store that specializes in custom built computers is closing it's doors this saturday. I hate to see that happen, when a local store goes under. Great service, great products and yet is going under. There really is never a good time, but Christmas is the worst and add to it the owner's wife just had a baby and the little girl is 3 months old now.

Shame.

OneUpTenn

Wow didnt realize you were so close to me. I am sad that this happened to them. Where are you located? I think I know which store you are talking about.

Kwiksigns

wookie
it happens all too much. My dad had a store for 20 years and had to close years ago. One point he had 5 stores a couple in MD, VA, and NJ.

Its funny... His old warehouse he sold has an awning and if you look at it, you can still see "COMPUTER AGE" burned into it. Might be only funny to me though

WildWestDesigns

Yea, I know it's common, I still hate to see it. I liked the guy, always did right be me and I'm sure he did with others as well.

Just hate to see it. Makes me realize that no little shop is really safe, no matter how good they are with finances and their actual goods and/or services. Sometimes the market just "eats" them up.

jiarby

Custom built computers is a dead business... (no offense, Casey!)
You gotta do lots of on-site services (networking, installation, wiring), bench repair, and probably retail virus clean up.

Even then it is a tough slog.

CRM consulting, SAP, PeopleSoft, Project management is where the money is... if there is any!

CheapVehicleWrap

yeah it died a long time ago. Want to see businesses dying by the droves? Visit New Jersey. This will be a special December for MANY here. Even Mosh is having difficulties.

WildWestDesigns

Well, let me rephrase that specializes, that's what I went to him for. He built mine, my mom's and my dad's. I think that's what he liked to focus on, he might for all I know done networking and all the other stuff as well. I know he did do repairs for all the major brands including Apple, but I think he just liked to do custom builds the most.

Locals Find!

Its sad to see a business close for whatever reason. Sometimes though it could be by choice. Maybe he decided to get a regular job with insurance due to the baby?

One never really knows from just the outside.

WildWestDesigns

Its sad to see a business close for whatever reason. Sometimes though it could be by choice. Maybe he decided to get a regular job with insurance due to the baby?

One never really knows from just the outside.

That's true, I don't know all the particulars. He did things for me and I did a couple of things for him. Just an end of a relationship.

But you are right, plans change when the family gets bigger.

petepaz

i am surprised they lasted this long but i hear you hate to see guys go out of business like that
back in the early to mid 90's the custom computer guys kept us in business
we made all the 1x1 nameplates, key board nameplates, 486sx/486dx labels, port id labels,
warranty void...we had a whole line of computer related nameplates and labels and we also made a bundle the same way with the pager and cell phones till the big guys took over