• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I hate Zeros

idsign

Routing Expanded PVC

I have successfully sold routed dimensional letters using a sub and have made good profits.

I urge you all to consider when routed letters can set you head and shoulders above your competition in selling a job.

I am still sifting through my box of photos for the job I did with routed letters mounted to brick veneer.

I made a generous profit having colleague in next town (who owns the 4x8 router) cut them for me from Celtec. I would do it again in heartbeat but this time use a coating procedure as given me from One-Shot - Spraylat - technical guy.

Easy mounting methods with cement screws into mortar and using industrial silicone or Lords Adhesive to layer the project.

Check this thread again to see finished product or it may surface in portfolio or tips and tricks.

Barry

geb

I'm not familiar with celtec. Could you tell me a little about it? I'd also love to hear about the coating tip from the one shot tech guy. You also promised a picture. I know I'm asking alot. I'll make it up to you by posting more of my pictures in the portfolio forum.

idsign

Photos

geb,

the photos may take a while, I probably could make an illustration faster. Give me a week.

Here is a clip from another board regarding coating Celtec / Sintra.

NazDar 9700 all purpose ink adheres to pvc very well. No primer is necessary and you can thin it with their reducer to spray or coat with foam roller. Holds up well in exterior use.

Paining with ink, an interesting concept.

I have an e-mail into Spraylat to again get the recommended way to coat out Celtec / Sintra.

And lastly, a primer on expanded PVC (EPVC) High density PVC is for simplicity's sake - water pipes.

Celtec / Sintra brands are expanded PVC - low density - micro air pockets inside - flat - can easily be cut and formed. Cheap, handy for signers, but not long term in regards to holding the pigments they are manufactured with. The UV light and exposure to the elements is the killer as does the interaction cause a breakdown with some vinyl's adhesives. EPVC that is constantly exposed to sunlight, especially southern and western exposures, also develops some chalking surface residue. Red becomes pink and blue becomes pale blue.

EPVC will last a good long time inside with lower sunlight, reduced UV and more constant moderate temperatures.

What overcoating seeks to do is keep the pigment question at bay because we are relying on the pigment in the coating and not the manufacturer's pigment in EPVC.

Overcoating also helps preserve the adhesive the selected vinyl uses to hold it to the EPVC and when using cast vinyl - premium - long term - 8 year, etc, the overcoat - paint should last as long as the viny itself, especially when using One-Shot - Ronan - Deka.

More later this week.

Barry

a link to the site of the manufacturer of Celtec - vycom
http://www.cpg-vycom.com/vycom.htm

a link to the site of modern plastics -
http://www.modernplastics.com/plasticscarry.htm

geb

Thanks Barry, good stuff to know. Tha Nazdar ink does last a long time on our screen printed signs here, though we rarely use it thinned as paint unless its last resort. Thanks. look forward to the pictures when you get them.