• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I never wrapped before, but it's my truck ????

KSTrooper

Wrapper, designer, illustrator
I wrapped my 1999 Suburban hood a year ago. The paint was in bad shape, and I did have to sand it down. I shot a thin coat of primer on it before applying 3M 1080 Metallic Black on the entire hood. I've wrapped 20 or so cars/trucks and it wasn't too bad. I prefer 3M 1080 but the Arlon wrap vinyls are pretty good too.

14457294_10210317554991871_7036388868193574959_n.jpg

Joel golden

I’ve been doing wraps for over a year now, close to 150 under my belt (crazy huh?) but I was able to see how the vinyl was going to have to be manipulated very quickly...it’s always been getting the cuts right that distinguish good wrappers from great wrapper...ok, cuts and corners...I hate corners (like where a quarter panel ends on top between the hood and A pillar)

decalman

I've done hundreds of wraps, maybe 20-30 on cars. I still want to pull my hair out on cars - every make of car has a new problem. Wrapping isn't easy, I still consider myself a newbie.

You can probably do anything flat ok enough - but anything with indents, or curves... I'd say you'll be wasting lots of money.

Watch some videos - look at mirrors, indents, hoods, etc. Then realized they've done thousands of wraps, and it still looks tricky for them.

I mostly do utility boxes, but I've done maybe 10-20 cars with the help of someone who's been doing this for 30+ years. There's still sections I pull my hair out on, rip the vinyl off and start over, and as for advice on.
L
Wrapping is an art - there's a reason it costs so much in labour. It may look easy, but it's not.

Buy a few yards... Practice wrapping your mirrors, remove a tail light and practice wrapping the indent on there... Then decide if you want to wrap the other 99.5% of the car, and if it's worth it to you.
Ok

Thanks. I think I'll paint. I appreciate your intelligent responce. Very rare.