• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

I screwed up!

Ladypainter

I took some pictures on my new digital camera at the beach this weekend. One was a really cool one of my son. I even made it my wallpaper. I wanted to send my girlfriend a copy, so I reduced the size for email (in Adobe). Problem...I screwed up and saved the changes, so now the picture is REALLY small.

Since the larger picture is still on my computer as wallpaper, shouldn't it be stored somewhere? Does anyone have any idea where it would be? I did a scan, including subfolders, with no luck.

:help:

PS: Didn't quite know where to post this, but thought someone might be able to help...

geb

LP, if its your wallpaper, wouldn't it be in your display area, where you change your screen savers, desktop, etc. Hope you find it.

George

Ladypainter

It is there, George, but there's no way to copy the file from there. I had to find the system file it was stored in. Since we are running XP, it was located in a subfolder in Documents and Settings (my server) and was simply named Wallpaper.

Sooooo glad I found it! Lesson learned...LOL
:thankyou:

S

sa-signs

you could always use the print screen key on your keyboard open up photoshop and a new doc and then hit paste :D

jimdes

Isn't XP fun . . . . now just imagine loading 6,000 fonts by accident because I changed XP default setting to install fonts upon discovery. That was fun. When you need to find something . . . right-click on the "Start" button and use the "search" option.

Ladypainter

jimdes said:
Isn't XP fun . . . . now just imagine loading 6,000 fonts by accident because I changed XP default setting to install fonts upon discovery. That was fun. When you need to find something . . . right-click on the "Start" button and use the "search" option.

I couldn't do that, because I had no idea what the name of the file was (XP copies the picture you select for your wallpaper and renames it "wallpaper"...go figure :biggrin: ). If I searched "all pictures", it did not list system files, which is where the file was. I'm just glad I got it back...will have to post it when I can remember to from home.

LP

idsign

LP,

The search feature of XP (and previous Windows versions) also allows us to find files by creation date and file type.
Even if you did not know the name of the file, you could narrow the search and find the folder it is in by searching say, *.jpg and/or July 10, 2004 to July 12, 2004.

Copy and paste all those matches into a folder where you archive your bitmaps and edit from there.

The wizard features that come with XP also have a way of dumping files in folders often without notifying the user of the name of said folder. The wizard that imports images from digital cameras prompts for the name of folder we chose to deposit the images into. For me, I use the just plain stupid folder name of DIGITAL PHOTOS created in the root directory of a non-boot drive. Even I can't lose a photo there. I save them to a folder date so when I go back to look for a pic, I may have some semblance of when I took the pic and start there. Also, using the thumbnail setting to scan images in folders can be a priceless time saver!

Barry

Is XP great? Um, compared to rebooting ME a minimum of 10 times a day, it is stellar!

jimdes

I'll agree with ya Barry

Sure beats rebooting over and over again.

LP . . . You're right, you do need to know the name and like Barry said, you can use the date option.

One more thing, if you know the name is right, but search isn't finding it, go to "More Advanced Options" and check the "Search hidden files and folders" box . . . if it doesn't find it after that, you're probably S.O.L.

GLAD YOU FOUND IT THOUGH!