• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help I suck at Photoshop...please help me

okeesignguy

I work almost exclusively with Flexi...I barely can find my way around Photoshop...
I am having to copy a political sign layout originally done by another shop...

My problem is that the person's pic on the sign has a faded (gradient?) outline around it...and I do not know how to do that... I am attaching a pic here of the original that I am copying for reference as well as a jpg to manipulate...

I am hoping that somebody here will help me by doing that for me...
I would be very thankful for it...thank you for any help given :)

Attachments

• PIC.jpg
    PIC.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 315
  • Asset Lisa photo2.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 171

okeesignguy

Hi, I don’t know how to do my job. Can someone do my job for me for free please?

Look...I KNEW there would be one azzhole in the crowd...That's the nature of forums....
I DO NOT USE PHOTOSHOP....what do you not understand about that...?
Do you use every program on the market...?
I can not wait til I see you ask for help...or are you above that...?
Maybe you are...Maybe you are the sign guru of the f**king universe...I don't know...

I feel like I am wasting my time explaining to a wise azz but I will...
I am 70 years old and I have been making signs since you were probably shi**ing yellow.......41 years...
I am about two years from retirement and honestly have paid my dues and am not looking to learn new sh*t...
Maybe after you have been making signs for as long as I have your might have a different outlook...

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
okeesignguy said:
I work almost exclusively with Flexi...I barely can find my way around Photoshop...
I am having to copy a political sign layout originally done by another shop...

There's lots of tutorial pages and videos at Adobe's web site and on YouTube. Beginners need to familiarize themselves with the user interface and then dive into working with layers, paths and alpha channels. That's where much of the power in Photoshop resides.

It's too bad they didn't send you the photo as a layered TIF or PSD file. Somebody already (crudely) erased the background in the sample JPG image. Basically you need to isolate that portrait using an alpha channel mask or a path, float it up on a layer and go on from there.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I don't know flexi but if I needed to do it in coreldraw I would autotrace in black and white, delete the white, then make a boundry line around the face. Put a decent size stroke on the boundry in white, convert to bmp and gaussion blur and then you have your drop shadow/glow thing.

okeesignguy

There's lots of tutorial pages and videos at Adobe's web site and on YouTube. Beginners need to familiarize themselves with the user interface and then dive into working with layers, paths and alpha channels. That's where much of the power in Photoshop resides.

It's too bad they didn't send you the photo as a layered TIF or PSD file. Somebody already (crudely) erased the background in the sample JPG image. Basically you need to isolate that portrait using an alpha channel mask or a path, float it up on a layer and go on from there.
That is what they sent me however they DID also send this png file with a transparent background...
I will probably never use this feature again as nowadays we mostly cater to the industrial and government and they don't want this kind of crap...
Otherwise I would look into learning how to do it...
Thanx for your advise :)

If nobody here is willing to help me I get it ;)
All I know is that I have helped folks on here numerous times, no questions asked, without questioning their ability or trying to humiliate them or being a wise guy...I don't understand that...we should all be here to not only learn but also to helpfolks out when we can :)

Peace and thanx again for your input...

Attachments

• Asset Lisa photo2.png
    Asset Lisa photo2.png
    1 MB · Views: 256

RaymondLoewy

Pretty fly for a Sign Guy
Lack of Photoshop knowledge aside, How do you feel when another shop poaches your customer by copying your well thought out design that you spent time on expecting to get the job?

okeesignguy

Lack of Photoshop knowledge aside, How do you feel when another shop poaches your customer by copying your well thought out design that you spent time on expecting to get the job?
Alright...I guess we have yet another smartazz...
Not that I feel as tho I owe you an explanation but these people went somewhere they were not happy with...they already have a couple hundred signs our there in this tiny town...
Now...if that was you would you want an entirely different bunch of signs out there that look different than the others...?
Of course you wouldn't...

I SO APPRECIATE the nice people on here that are willing to help someone who also helps others...
That's the way it should work...
HOWEVER...it is jerkoffs like you that make me cringe to even come on to a forum...

okeesignguy

I want to thank the awesome folks on here that do not have their heads up their azzes...
And to those guys...I can not wait to see you ask for help so I can also act like a jerk and harass you...

SINCERLY.....Thank to those who helped me...I will not hesitate helping you should the opportunity ever arise...

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Look...I KNEW there would be one azzhole in the crowd...That's the nature of forums....
I DO NOT USE PHOTOSHOP....what do you not understand about that...?
Do you use every program on the market...?
I can not wait til I see you ask for help...or are you above that...?
Maybe you are...Maybe you are the sign guru of the f**king universe...I don't know...

I feel like I am wasting my time explaining to a wise azz but I will...
I am 70 years old and I have been making signs since you were probably shi**ing yellow.......41 years...
I am about two years from retirement and honestly have paid my dues and am not looking to learn new sh*t...
Maybe after you have been making signs for as long as I have your might have a different outlook...

One, you’re obviously ripping off another sign shops intellectual property by stealing their design. Why don’t they go get their design from someone who knows how to make their design? And you can print it?

Two, you basically asked for this to be done for free. I may not have 40 years in the industry but I can guarantee if I was in your position I’d ask people to teach me how to do this. Give a man a fish and he’ll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he’ll eat for a lifetime. Even with only two years in the industry, you have no intention to learn new things? That’ll be a long two years of stealing other people’s designs.

jochwat

Graphics Department
One, you’re obviously ripping off another sign shops intellectual property by stealing their design. Why don’t they go get their design from someone who knows how to make their design? And you can print it?

Two, you basically asked for this to be done for free. I may not have 40 years in the industry but I can guarantee if I was in your position I’d ask people to teach me how to do this. Give a man a fish and he’ll eat for a day, teach him to fish and he’ll eat for a lifetime. Even with only two years in the industry, you have no intention to learn new things? That’ll be a long two years of stealing other people’s designs.

Come on, now.

1. A vignette is hardly "intellectual property".
2. He barely wants the "fish" that's being given to him, let alone want any more fish after this one!

Yes, this forum is here so people can learn how to do things. But what's wrong with giving a litlte help every so often? It took literally 2 minutes of my 15 minute break!

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Come on, now.

1. A vignette is hardly "intellectual property".
2. He barely wants the "fish" that's being given to him, let alone want any more after this for the next couple years.

Yes, this forum is here so people can learn how to do things. But what's wrong with giving a litlte help every so often? It took literally 2 minutes of my 15 minute break!

A Vignette may not be intellectual properly but in the post above he’s literally stated he’s copying the entirety of the design. To match the other few hundred signs about town. How would you feel if this guy was asking for free help to steal one of your signs?

This forum is great for learning but really? Stealing a design then having the audacity to admit you can’t even copy a basic part of it then expecting it to be done for free? Definitely not the person I’d be helping on my break..

okeesignguy

Only one thing to say to you azzhole...GO F*CK YOURSELF YOU LITTLE WEASEL KNOW IT ALL...
You think you know every detail of every dam thing...you have a lot to learn buddy...
BTW...how old are you ...ten?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Only one thing to say to you azzhole...GO F*CK YOURSELF YOU LITTLE WEASEL KNOW IT ALL...
You think you know every detail of every dam thing...you have a lot to learn buddy...
BTW...how old are you ...ten?

Yes, I am 10.

I see you are a 70 year old man that struggles keeping up with technology and curses/shouts at 10 year olds on the internet.

Go you.