• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ICC Profiles for Roland VS-540

Zakk

I just bought a new Roland VS-540 and was looking forward to awesome print quality on banner and vinyl. I have, however, run into a HUGE issue finding virtually any ICC profiles for the VS-540 configured with white and metallic ink running Versaworks.

I have checked the following:
Arlon
Oracal (has profiles, but only with either 2xCMYK or Wasatch or Flexi)
Starflex
One Sign
3M
LG
Grimco
and some other house brands.

I also looked on Rolands US and Japanese website to try to find some 3rd party profiles. The US site does not seem to have any profiles for Versaworks, but the Japanese site does. The problem is that the banner materials listed on the Japanese site do not SEEM to be available in the US.

To the point...Can someone with a VS let me know if they have had any luck finding any 3rd party profiles? I have tried several of the built in VW profiles, which seem to be OK for decals, but pretty useless for banner. I did find that LG banner works ok with the VW matte banner profile, but only in high quality mode. The other two modes are 100% useless.

I am looking for decent banner material for both outdoor banners as well as trade show banners (good in retractable banner stands and very little curl). For decals, I need these for exterior applications, but also for packaging.

I would imagine that other people have this printer and are able to get good results.

Your experience and feedback would be appreciated.

Custom_Grafx

Hi, I have a VS-640 x 2 cmyk setup and also had a bit of a hard time with profiling the machine as it behaves quite differently to my previous SP series.

Phototec is right, your first point of contact should be your tech, as they have more than likely been asked the same question, and should have been able to figure it out by now.

I make my own profiles, and even with that, can say it was hard finding the right media profile template in VW to base my custom profiles on that had a good mix of speed and quality. It's usually one or the other, but I found something with 12 or more passes seems to be quite good.

When you say you're not happy with the banner templates... could you please be more specific and mention what you are not happy with? Is it the colour? The amount of ink? The speed? Is there ink pooling/puddling? There are a couple of banner templates I've tried out, and the fastest one is a crazy 2 passes which is VERY fast on my 2xcmyk setup, but the quality is of course not so great... but doesn't need to be for banners usually too..

Anyway, hope you can get some answers from your tech, and if there's something I can help with given more info am happy to help.

Custom_Grafx

Oh, I also forgot to add, it was very recently - just last week or so, that the VS had a firmware upgrade to V2.7. You also need to update VW as that happened recently too if you haven't done so already. There are 2 new template profiles in there.

Zakk

What does your dealler have to say about this?

Don't they have service after the sale?

I think your best source for info may be from the source it's self, you may have to make your own.

http://www.color.org/index.xalter

Might want to review this thread:

http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76039

:smile:

Hi,
I did speak with the dealer and they say that this should not be happening as many people have this machine and are using it successfully. They will send a tech to try to troubleshoot it, which is great, but I just wish I had know before buying it that profiles would be such a big issue. Regarding making my own profiles, that is something that I am not prepared to do as I do not have the the knowledge or a color spectrometer to do this (not to mention the time it would require to learn and then do it.)

I had seen that other thread that you mentioned, but the only response there was that the machine is too new and there are no profiles yet. The machine, however, has been on the market for about 9 months and obviously they have sold a bunch of these. Most people that own it must be using it successfully or I would think there would be a ton of posts from people flipping out. This machine is not exactly a budget model. The reason that I did not reply on the other thread is that that poster is looking for a “decent all around profile”, whereas I am looking for some specific materials that are available in the US that have profiles for the CMYKLcLm+Metallic+White configuration using VersaWorks. Naturally, I would also love to find a good all around profile, but I would suspect better results would be achieved from a material-specific profile and the ”right“ material.

Thanks for your response.

Zakk

It's usually one or the other, but I found something with 12 or more passes seems to be quite good.

Am I understanding correctly, that in order to get the quality looking good, not only can't you use high speed or standard, but you actually have to set it to 12 passes? I have never profiled a large format printer, but that ”sounds“ like an awful lot and would take forever to make a print, no? What type of material is that on?

When you say you're not happy with the banner templates... could you please be more specific and mention what you are not happy with? Is it the colour? The amount of ink? The speed? Is there ink pooling/puddling? There are a couple of banner templates I've tried out, and the fastest one is a crazy 2 passes which is VERY fast on my 2xcmyk setup, but the quality is of course not so great... but doesn't need to be for banners usually too..

Anyway, hope you can get some answers from your tech, and if there's something I can help with given more info am happy to help.

You're right, I should have been more specific. There are varios quality issues depending on which profile/material I have tried. I will have to take some photos and post them (worth 1,000 words), but the best I can describe it as is that the ink ”appears“ to be coagulating on the surface as it is very blotchy looking on standard or high speed. When I say that the quality is “100% useless”, I mean that from 20 feet a way, the low quality is obvious. When I set it to high quality mode, it is better, but still does not look good up close. No even texture on solid areas as well as some areas where there are, what I could best describe as, “blemishes”. Again, pictures will tell a better story.

The dealer is very interested in helping, and I did speak with them, but I figure that someone who owns the machine may have more first hand insight. The dealer mentioned that maybe the material is too old or hasn't been kept well. While I do not think this is the case, I am open to all possibilities, but I have had this issue on previously unopened rolls that we may have had around for a coule of months, but have always been kept in air conditioning at a temperature between 75 to 80 degrees (Fahrenheit, of course ;-) )

Zakk

Oh, I also forgot to add, it was very recently - just last week or so, that the VS had a firmware upgrade to V2.7. You also need to update VW as that happened recently too if you haven't done so already. There are 2 new template profiles in there.

I will perform these upgrades tomorrow morning. Have you noticed quality improvements from them?