• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

IColor 350 Reds Press Orange

dcruze

I just purchased a IColor 350 Sublimation Printer. I have been trying to do my first print onto coffee mugs. I purchased mugs from JDS Industries (#SM11W) to practice with. JDS says to press the mugs at 400 decrees for 5 minutes. I am printing from CorelDraw X7.

My colors come out dull and reds are orange.

I have watched lots of videos and searched for info, tried other temp/time settings but not having any luck finding info on Toner Sublimation.

Does anyone use IColor printers for sublimation or have other suggestions. Real World Experience would by helpful. Thanks.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I don't have an icolor and haven't really heard a lot of good things about toner based sublimation systems but I do have a lot of dye sub experience. I can tell you 100% that it's either a profile or printer issue as long as you can rule out one thing.

I really doubt that it's your time/temp settings but at 5min depending on the press you could be overdoing it and causing the colors to sink too deep into the mug coating. Try 4min and see if it improves (I doubt it will).

Otherwise it's definitely some sort of profile or printer issue. I don't know how to fix it though.

netsol

I don't have an icolor and haven't really heard a lot of good things about toner based sublimation systems but I do have a lot of dye sub experience. I can tell you 100% that it's either a profile or printer issue as long as you can rule out one thing.

I really doubt that it's your time/temp settings but at 5min depending on the press you could be overdoing it and causing the colors to sink too deep into the mug coating. Try 4min and see if it improves (I doubt it will).

Otherwise it's definitely some sort of profile or printer issue. I don't know how to fix it though.
maybe someone with the same equipment and substrate can post a generic profile (doesn't the supplier have ANY resources?)
otherwise, just like any other product, BUILD YOUR OWN PROFILE and the colors will be perfect

are you not a member of a site that has lots of members with this kind of equipment? posting on one of those might help in this situation, wish i could be more help

dcruze

Thank you so much for you answer. I am leaning towards a the same conclusion, either a printer or a profile issue. I have tried other temps and times and the results are the same. Thanks again, I will look into the profiles.

dcruze

Just figured out I didn't have my profile set right. I think I have the colors coming out right, but my Sublimation print seem to be sitting on the top layer of the coffee mug and not going into the coating.
I have done lots of testing with time, temp, and pressures and feel like I am going in circles.
Does anyone know the correlation between time, temp and pressure?
What I mean is - for example, if I increase pressure does it force the print in deeper or not? Or do I have to increase time?
Thanks for what ever you know.