• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illuminate me?

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
OK, so have a weird one.
Customer is looking to have an illuminated monument sign, that appears to match his building in the daytime, and illuminates at night.

His building is primarily black windows. They "need" the sign to be purple. I'm aware of where purple falls on the visibility wavelength.

What I'm thinking about doing is fabricating an acrylic cube using black day/night acrylic, doubling the number of LEDS inside, and placing 2nd surface doublestruck purple clear vinyl on the interior/2nd surface.

Dimensional letters would be studded to the face of the acrylic.

My questions are:
1. Will day/night acrylic illuminate purple with clear purple vinyl 2nd surface?
2. Will the illumination be bright enough to silhouette the dimensional letters? With standard amount of LEDS? With increased number of LEDs?

Customer mentioned possibly wanting a washout effect on top or bottom of sign.

1. Is the best way to duplicate that using exterior LED lightbars pointed at top and bottom, first surface? If we illuminate day/night acrylic on the outside, will it appear black? Or will the backlit behind it prevent it from being viewed as black?
2. Easier way is probably just doing a fade on the 2nd surface trans vinyl.

Any thoughts? We don't use a lot of day/night so I'm lacking on specific uses.

upload_2019-7-31_11-27-59.png

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Instead of the day/night acrylic...perhaps the 3M dual colour film (black/white) would work for you.
https://www.3mcanada.ca/3M/en_CA/co...50-yd/?N=5002385+3293788260+3294529206&rt=rud

Some options I can think of are:

1. Apply 3M black/white dual film to 1st surface of purple trans acrylic (https://www.inventables.com/technologies/translucent-purple-acrylic-sheet)

2. Apply 3M black/white dual film to 1st surface of translucent acrylic with purple led lighting inside.

3. Apply the 3M black/white dual film to the 1st surface of translucent (or clear) acrylic and apply purple translucent vinyl onto the 2nd surface. (More vinyl layers = more fun..right?)

You could digitally print purple onto a clear or trans vinyl and double-strike it, but I think a cut vinyl film would be more vibrant (3M 3630 Series or Avery UC900 Series) and durable.

In my opinion, the "wash-out" effect isn't such a hot idea...but you could achieve it by digitally printing a gradient of clear or white to purple.

Good luck! Let us know how you make out!

equippaint

Agree with Tx, need some better pictures to visualize this. Sounds like my wife explaining some remodeling idea she has.... but much more interesting. I do like the font though, very unique.
Going by the pictures, Id vote that the black wont be sufficiently legible with a purple background. Not real keen on the gradient either but Im sure that you have a better visual concept in your head than what you posted.

spectrum maine

a rich purple is going to fuzz out at night. i assume it would be like channel letters with blue acrylic faces= fuzzy at night.