• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illuminated Channel Letters Mounted to Glass Conference Room

ADuke

Hello everyone,

We have a challenge on our hands. A customer of ours likes Illuminated channel letters but wants them mounted to the Glass wall of one of their conference rooms. I have never done this before and am having a hard time figuring out how these would be mounted without having to ruin the glass (drill or something). I found a few images of some letters mounted to glass but I am not sure how they did it. They are built and made in the UK so I am not sure if the way these are done would work and be UL certified. Has anyone done this before and know how this is done or have a supplier for these?

Thank you!
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Glass Mounted Channel Letters OPT2.jpg
    Glass Mounted Channel Letters OPT2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,785
  • Glass Mounted Channel Letter inspiration.jpg
    Glass Mounted Channel Letter inspiration.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 1,573

ams

Hmm depending on the weight, it could be VHB tape for mounting. Some of those I can't see the wires, so thinking they may be internally lit by battery? The safest way is to drill a hole or create a raceway type thing. But VHB is what I recommend.

2B

without drilling the glass you are going to have to use an optically clear adhesive.

3M 4910 clear VHB is a good option.

2B

or lay vinyl down on the glass to 'mask' the adhesive used (good install pattern at the same time)

thought of that as we do the same method for glass, (interior mount is a mirror image of the exterior to hide the adhesive) but with the Jones example it looks its a one sided application

ADuke

I was wondering myself if they had some internal battery power, but if you look closely to the "Jones" Letters, there is wire coming out the back of the "O" and running up the steam of the glass. I am thinking there might be a power supply attached or running up into the ceiling somewhere. The wire running from the "O" looks like it is a clear coated wiring...which I haven't seen before with channel letters. I am also not sure what the standoff looking things on the back of the letters are either. any ideas?

It also looks like they have a formed plastic letter mounted to the front of the glass and an aluminum channel letter (without the face) mounted to the back of the glass...so the letter is kind of sandwiching the glass. That's the part that is kind of stumping me because I wasn't sure how you would do that without the mounting tape or hardware interfering with the lighting.

The jones is sandwhiched. Looks like they wanted the letters outside but wanted to keep the electrical inside. So all the electrical is on the inside of the glass run through the channel ltters. It shines through the customers glass and hits the letters on the front side.

henryz

We are working on one of these as well, should be in production in the next month. I will let you guys know how it comes along. I did a little research because I think these are the next big thing here in CA...

spectrum maine

put vinyl down 1st then lexel & ds tape. should hold fine. try to make a wireway a design feature. or possibly a battery system? (high end user maintenance.)

Kiryl

In this picture, the letters are attached to the glass by 3M 4910 clear VHB or using a transparent glue for glass.
glass-mounted-channel-letters-opt2-jpg.128235

Wires are here
wires-jpg.128236

Wires in a hollow tube like this, the tube is painted of course.

b35cb3d5a761eecdd9cb6b25e9686ea5-jpg.128237

On the second image letters "BOOTMAKER" not light and attached to the glass by 3M 4910 clear VHB or using a transparent glue for glass too. Letters "Jones" fastened all the same with the help of drilling glass and special holders for glass as these.

forinox_13_s-jpg.128238

But you have to drill the holes in them where I pointed and in the tube in order to put a wire in them.
drill-jpg.128239

The tube should also be hollow.
At this point, the wire goes to the transformer.
trans-jpg.128240

Drilling glass is not as difficult as it seems. You will need special drills. Here is a video of how to drill glass. But still be careful! :)

Attachments

• Glass Mounted Channel Letters OPT2.jpg
    Glass Mounted Channel Letters OPT2.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2,478
  • wires.jpg
    wires.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 2,349
  • b35cb3d5a761eecdd9cb6b25e9686ea5.jpg
    b35cb3d5a761eecdd9cb6b25e9686ea5.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 2,398
  • forINOX_13_S.jpg
    forINOX_13_S.jpg