• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Illustrator Alignment not working

Breezy85

Hey all! It's been a while since I posted here.

I'm having a weird issue with Illustrator that I'm out of ideas on how to fix. When I use the alignment (as pictured) to align certain objects to each other or the art board, nothing happens. I've searched through all the preferences and settings, couldn't find anything that would reference that.

Any suggestions or advice??

Screen Shot 2018-09-17 at 5.43.30 PM.png

Pippin Decals

Make sure you have your image etc selected and you are selecting Align to Artboard or Align to Selection,There be a section to select one or the other. If you cant get it to work send me a pm unless someone provides something else.I will take a screen shot and repost in a sec.

Also make sure what your selecting isnt grouped together..

Last edited:

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
This could be a bunch of things. Objects that are already grouped are considered 1 object so it can't align to itself. If there are clipping masks or compound paths it could affect the alignment. Also, text tends not to align properly unless they are converted to lines.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I was thinking you may have had an element locked...that will also give you problems if you don't unlock them.

Sandman

I wish Illustrator had a way to align the top of one object to the bottom of another or the left side of an object to the right side of a different object without have to depend on snapping to guide lines.

shoresigns

I wish Illustrator had a way to align the top of one object to the bottom of another or the left side of an object to the right side of a different object without have to depend on snapping to guide lines.
Umm, have you tried the Distribute Spacing buttons in the third row of the Align panel? They do exactly this.

The trick is, you have to select your objects, then left click on one to make it a Key Object, or simply switch the Align To option to Key Object. Then you can type 0 (zero) as your spacing value in the box at the bottom of the Align panel, and click one of the Distribute Spacing buttons to line up your objects edge-to-edge vertically or horizontally.

IDB Signs

Umm, have you tried the Distribute Spacing buttons in the third row of the Align panel? They do exactly this.

The trick is, you have to select your objects, then left click on one to make it a Key Object, or simply switch the Align To option to Key Object. Then you can type 0 (zero) as your spacing value in the box at the bottom of the Align panel, and click one of the Distribute Spacing buttons to line up your objects edge-to-edge vertically or horizontally.

Thanks for this! I've messed around with it a bit before, but never with the Key Object, or setting the spacing to zero, which would not give me the desired results.