• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator and CadTools

cgsigns_jamie

I'm having an issue with the dimension feature in CadTools 6 for Illustrator CS4.

I'm drawing and isometric view of an awning and I'm using the isometric dimensions. The problem is any time I use the "Undo" command all the dimensions freak out.

This is the first time I've done an isometric drawing and the first time I've used the isometric dimension tool. I was wondering if this was normal or if I'm doing something wrong.

I figured I'd ask the experts before I pull all my hair out.

I've attached a screen grab of my drawing before and after using the undo command. (The thumbnail on the left is after I undo a command, thumbnail on right is before)

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 179

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Where the pic?

Do you have multiple layers and scales? Did you change the scale in the middle of drawing or add another layer/scale?

If you add or change scales after you start pulling your dimensions, it tends to freak out a little. I have a template with all the layers/scale pre-made so I don't get any layer/scale wierdness you are now experiencing.

cgsigns_jamie

It downsized my screen grab when I uploaded so you may not be able to see it very well.

I do have layer scales turned on. There are 4 layers in the drawing
1 - Template (This is 1:1)
2 - Drawing (This is a custom scale)
3 - Photo (This is another custom scale)
4 - Dimension Layer (This is the layer CadTools Creates)

I set the scales up when I began the drawing and haven't changed them since. I only "work" on the Drawing layer.

What is weird is sometimes if I click "Redo" everything will go back to the way it was and I can continue on.

I even tried expanding all the dimensions and it would still "freak out" if I used the Undo command.

I guess I just can't mess up anymore, that way I won't have to use the Undo command.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Another thing is if you duplicate instead of copy and paste some images, it may do that. When I doing multiple page and scale drafting and I need to use the same image to modify, I will copy and paste with "paste remembers layers" on... it may be some wierd thing like that too.

cgsigns_jamie

I actually didn't copy and past anything. I usually use the "step and repeat feature". (CadTools is worth the money for that feature alone!)

I'm not sure what it was. I managed to get the drawing done and off to the customer for review.

Like I mentioned I don't normally do isometric drawings. Typically I would use AutoCad but my VMWare was acting up and I didn't have time to wait while the back-up was restored.

I've always used CadTools for the scale and dimension features. After using the isometric drawing feature I kinda liked it. It's pretty simple to draw your shapes and assemble the design.