• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator CC Slow Opening Files

JLD984

Bought a new iMac earlier in the year with everything upgraded so that Illustrator and Photoshop will run at their best. Everything is fine except there's a 5-10 second wait every time I open a file in Illustrator. It will open but then after a few seconds the wheel thing starts spinning, very frustrating. Anybody know a way around this, must be an Illustrator setting as my computer couldn't be any faster.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Can you provide any other info? I have a 2013 iMac with SSD and most CC files open up in 1 sec or less. Perhaps the file is incredibly complex/large?

One thing to try is to create a new temporary user, log in as that user and see if the files open with any delay. If they open quickly then you know something is amiss with your account.

Did the problem suddenly show up out of nowhere? Were the files opening up fast prior to installing CC or is everything on the machine a brand new install?

You can also try trashing your preferences and then reopening those files after restarting.

brycesteiner

Bought a new iMac earlier in the year with everything upgraded so that Illustrator and Photoshop will run at their best. Everything is fine except there's a 5-10 second wait every time I open a file in Illustrator. It will open but then after a few seconds the wheel thing starts spinning, very frustrating. Anybody know a way around this, must be an Illustrator setting as my computer couldn't be any faster.

Is the file local, over the network, or in the cloud? That could make a huge difference.

JLD984

It's not just one or a few files, it's every file regardless of how small it is. They're all local too on a solid state hard drive with 32gb RAM, 3.5GHz i7. Has been like it since I bought it in May, was the same with Mavericks and now Yosemite. I'll try a few of those suggestions.

brycesteiner

It's not just one or a few files, it's every file regardless of how small it is. They're all local too on a solid state hard drive with 32gb RAM, 3.5GHz i7. Has been like it since I bought it in May, was the same with Mavericks and now Yosemite. I'll try a few of those suggestions.

Did this happen to be when the Finder window opens or after you've clicked the file then clicked open? I ask that because I had a similar issue with Mavericks on my macbook air. I happened to have Dropbox installed and after troubleshooting I found disabling Dropbox, restarting Finder, would solve the speed issue.

I needed dropbox installed and re-enabling and disabling isn't a great option. After deleting preferences and uninstalling/reinstalling Dropbox many times and not solving the issue, I upgraded to Yosemite and it seemed to fix the problem. But I would get random crashes in Libreoffice (I think it was a corrupt file though), and less battery life so I cleaned reformatted, and put Mavericks back on. It seemed to solve the problem.

I was not accessing the Dropbox folder either. It was just opening a Finder window or Open/Save window would cause the 10 second or more spinning beachball.

I've heard issues with Google Drive too, but don't have experience myself.

JLD984

Still having the same trouble here after trying all of the earlier suggestions. Dropbox isn't installed so that can't be the problem. Every time a file is opened the spinning beach ball happens and when multiple files are open and I close one, it happens again before I can do anything with another open file. It even happens when I click back on Illustrator from finder or another application, even though Illustrator was already open. Most of the work I do is 100% vector and is all saved on the hard drive so it's not the artwork or the source that's the problem either. Any help greatly appreciated.

garisimo

I may know the reason, and a possible solution.

Ok, let me start by saying that I hope Affinity Designer becomes a real AI contender because Adobe needs to do to Illustrator what it did with InDesign (PageMaker) -- rewrite the entire program for modern operating systems. I use AI nearly every day, and it is such a patchwork of bells and whistles taped to a wheezing ox of bloated ancientware that I can't believe it doesn't crash more.

To your specific problem, two immediate things jump to mind:

(1) AI has friction especially when attempting to IO with the file system. Recently I configured a laptop with network share aliases on the desktop. While at the office, where the NAS drives are located, no issues; files opened and saved as quickly as expected. At home, though, where the network drives are not available, every time I would attempt to open or place a document the beachball of infinity would appear (and never release) -- I had to force quit every time. After much cranial exfoliation I realized the issue and placed the share aliases into a folder on the desktop. Even though the drives were not mounted and I made no attempt to mount them at home AI needed to touch those files and glitched when doing so. See if perhaps you have something like this going on in any of the directories you open/save from.

(2) There is a file, com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist, that resides at this location: Macintosh HD ▸ Users ▸ [current user name] ▸ Library ▸ Preferences -- it records a bunch of file information, and can get bloated. It is human readable, so you can open with a text editor and see all the accumulated info. AI creates this file if it isn't there, so you can delete it with no consequence. Instead, though, you might try quitting AI, opening the file in a text editor (not word processor) and deleting all the text in the file, then saving the file. Next, get info on the file via the Finder, and click the lock checkbox. Now, load AI and try to open/save. Google com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist; there are lots of words written on this file and how it can cause the exact problems you are talking about.

Hope this helps some!

G

JLD984

Thanks. Tried that and nothing changed one bit. I previously ran CS1 which was slow in general but nothing like this when opening files. Has to be a setting in illustrator I think even though I've cleared the settings several times, there must be something that can be changed. It's the only app I'm having trouble with, everything else is lightning fast, I use illustrator all day every day so it's doing my head in no end.

JLD984

Still having all sorts of trouble with this. Does anybody have any new ideas? I've tried all of the previous suggestions.

Snydo

Have you looked in the Adobe support forums? There are several older posts related to your issue, good luck.