• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator Pixelate Effect

JLD984

Hi All, I'm trying to pixelate text to give it the same appearance as a background photo but whenever I use any effect it leaves a white box behind it, blocking out the photo. Any help on how to avoid this will be greatly appreciated. (Using Illustrator CC).

vid

Not exactly sure what you're doing - but, do what you did to get the type with the white box. (I know, it's got a white box that blocks the photo. Do it anyway.)

Then, keeping that image selected go to:

Main Menu > Window > Transparency.

From the transparency window, there's a pull down menu, which by default, reads "Normal".

Change that to Multiply. The white will be interpreted as a transparency. --- There are other selections that are available to play with that may suit your needs better --- explore!

Doing it that way doesn't harm the photo and you can still edit/move the different elements.​

If that doesn't get you what you want, post a jpg of the image with a description of what you want to do, as there may be another way to get you to where you are going… if there are color, or gradations involved.

JLD984

Hi Vid, thanks for your advice. What I'm trying to do is place text over an existing photo which is small and pixelated. I need the text to look like it's part of the photo so I need to somehow pixelate it or use some other effect, but it's leaving the white box behind. I tried what you said but it still hasn't worked.