• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator Printing

WVB

Is there a way to get Illustrator to print the correct colors to paper etc. (I print proofs with Illustrator for clients.) I use to know how, however I have since forgotten :help:

In any event when working in RGB mode I will print what is blue in Illustrator however it will print in pink. I know there are monitor spiders etc; but I would like to know how through the software itself.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There's no simple answer. You need to use color management and color profiles, then it's trial and error to find the right combinations for you scanner, desktop printer, monitor and output devices. All along the way it becomes more complicated with matching the media and the quality settings. Changing settings, profiles or media will give different results with each and every change.

tokepo

The first thing I would check would be the printer itself. Try printing another file that you know should print correctly using another software. My first thought would be your print heads need cleaning or you maybe out of ink in one of your colors. Print another image and then at least you will know if it is the printer or the software. Just my thoughts.

Good Luck!
Tony

WVB

Its definitly not the printer. Only when printing from Illustrator or impoted Illustrator files into Flexi will the colors be off. Otherwise pictures etc. all print wonderfully to my desktop printer.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Both Illustrator and FlexiSign use color management unless you turn it off. Therefore a color profile is coming into play.

WVB

Ok, so if I turn off color management from Illustrator or Flexi that should fix the issue at hand? I am just trying to print to my desktop epson printer for proofs is all.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Probably. Try it and see.

You may find that insuring your document is set to CMYK and using one or another of the available profiles gives you the result you're looking for as well. I usually use the Photoshop 5 Default CMYK with my Epson and get good results.

WVB

Ok I have tried the Photoshop 5 default spaces as well as color management off, but both yield the same results. I am using #8B458F CMYK = 58%, 81%, 0%, 0% for Purple but it prints out as a hot pink/Magenta color. I also use #E0DFDF CMYK = 14%, 10%, 9%, 0% for a light silver but it prints out as a light, light pink color. I am not sure what is going on or if I am just missing something here? Thanks in advance.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
That sounds more like your cartridge is out of cyan or the head is clogged. I don't think that any color management coiuld throw it that far off.