• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illustrator question

crny1

I have another question with Illustrator. talk about a learning curve....

Lets say I have a shape or image. Lets use a square for example purposes. I then want to place a photo from photoshop into the square but in order to place it where I need too there is parts of the picture that over hang the square. How can I go back and then remove everything from outside the square? Basically clean the image up nicely so that it doesnt print everything outside the square.
I know this is problem a simple task but I cant seem to figure it out. Thanks.

Wes

J Hill Designs

I just tried a clipping mask - it 'works' but the bounding box is still the entire image.

corel its simple-dimple -- powerclip, done

oksigns

You will have to mask it by hand with the pen tool then[SUB]

You need to mask it. Illustrator kinda deals with absolutes.

Place the image that needs to fit inside the box down on the bottom of the layer list first THEN place the shape it needs to fit on a layer above that. Select them both, and hit ctrl+7 or Object>Clipping Mask>Make

again.. youtube has TONS of videos that can walk you through these.

[/SUB]EDIT:

In photoshop, you can make a mask with the exact shape or create a new mask by selecting the area with quick select tool or whatever your preference. Before you make the mask and the area is selected(marching ants), right click on the path and choose MAKE WORK PATH.

Next, do File>Export>Paths to Illustrator - from this you are able to create a quickish and "accurate" mask just for illustrator. I am glossing over the finer details, but this is the procedure to do it "fast"

J Hill Designs

You will have to mask it by hand with the pen tool then[SUB]

You need to mask it. Illustrator kinda deals with absolutes.

Place the image that needs to fit inside the box down on the bottom of the layer list first THEN place the shape it needs to fit on a layer above that. Select them both, and hit ctrl+7 or Object>Clipping Mask>Make

again.. youtube has TONS of videos that can walk you through these.[/SUB]

does this keep the bounding box at the size of the full image or at the size of the clipping mask?

oksigns

this top shape will be the clipping mask. So the art will be masked by whatever shape you choose to put on top, but I have edited my original post for a more accurate masking technique I use all the time for custom decals

EDIT EDIT @ OP: I will suggest you make the template in Illustrator, and export it for use in photoshop exclusively if you the majority of your art will be rasterized/generated from photoshop, exporting vector art in to PS as needed. Illustrator does not have the same flexibility with raster images as Photoshop, but is great with the template process.

J Hill Designs

this top shape will be the clipping mask. So the art will be masked by whatever shape you choose to put on top, but I have edited my original post for a more accurate masking technique I use all the time for custom decals

EDIT EDIT @ OP: I will suggest you make the template in Illustrator, and export it for use in photoshop exclusively if you the majority of your art will be rasterized/generated from photoshop, exporting vector art in to PS as needed. Illustrator does not have the same flexibility with raster images as Photoshop, but is great with the template process.

see attached - the bounding box is still the size of the entire image, not just the clipped portion - so resizing just the clip is a pain

Attachments

• tmp5.jpg
    tmp5.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 140

oksigns

see attached - the bounding box is still the size of the entire image, not just the clipped portion - so resizing just the clip is a pain

I select masked objects in the layers panel and it always selects them as the object serving as the mask. Now if I double click the mask group, you have entered that group and the art is selectable.

Edit: as a mask now, the ONLY clickable area is the bounding box(outline) of that mask shape. Since it is now seen as a "window" in Illustrator, you would click through the object always selecting the layer underneath.

J Hill Designs

I select masked objects in the layers panel and it always selects them as the object serving as the mask. Now if I double click the mask group, you have entered that group and the art is selectable.

Edit: as a mask now, the ONLY clickable area is the bounding box(outline) of that mask shape. Since it is now seen as a "window" in Illustrator, you would click through the object always selecting the layer underneath.

and THIS is why i hate illy :banghead::banghead::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

oksigns

and THIS is why i hate illy :banghead::banghead::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Adobe products are filled with these little pieces of inconveniences... I am aware other software packages have a more common sense approach, but to think in order to be an "expect" you have to keep track of this minutia :banghead:

WildWestDesigns

Actions, actions, actions.

That's the best way to take several steps down to one or 2. Unfortunately, you have to do the full set of steps the first time, but after that, it's select and click of an action.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I don't get is... To mask an image...

Open your image in Illy... or paste it or drop it in your drawing... (You have to do that in Corel)

Draw your square (You have to do that in Corel)

select both (You have to do that in Corel)

Command + 7

Bob's yer uncle

Guam_Guy

I don't get is... To mask an image...

Open your image in Illy... or paste it or drop it in your drawing... (You have to do that in Corel)

Draw your square (You have to do that in Corel)

select both (You have to do that in Corel)

Command + 7

Bob's yer uncle

Pretty sure he wants to get rid of the rest of the image not used in the clipping mask. I have tried this before and I never figured out how to do it.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
If you're actually wanting to delete part of an image rather than just hide parts of it with a clipping mask you have to do that in Photoshop, save either a layered TIFF or PSD file and then place that back into Illustrator. Paths can be used to create solid edges on the cut image. Soft edges on the imagery are possible using other tools.