• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Illy help

TheSellOut

I looked in the Preferences to see if I could fix this but nothing stood out at me, and it has just started happening...

When I click and drag an object to move it...it seems like it moves in increments, moving it to far in one way or antoher. I have lost the ability to make precise movements?

And I have lost the ability to move an object with my arrow keys?

TIA

GB2

Old Member
On the General Tab in preferences, there is a box called Precise Cursor, try switching that and see if it helps. Otherwise, most strange issues in Illustrator are caused by some corruption in the preferences file. Here is a good link to Illustrator troubleshooting:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/324/324053.html

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
On the General Tab in preferences, there is a box called Precise Cursor, try switching that and see if it helps. Otherwise, most strange issues in Illustrator are caused by some corruption in the preferences file. Here is a good link to Illustrator troubleshooting:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/324/324053.html

I find most issues are user error, your issue is different and dumping the preferences was the only way. This was caused by hitting a shortcut (SHIFT+COMMAND+'). It usually happens to me when I accidently hit the wrong key to move something forward of back (ARRANGE) (SHIFT+OPTION+])

GB2

Old Member
Yes, I understand and agree, all user related issues should be checked first and drastic measures should not be the first course of action. The document I referenced is a good step by step troubleshooting outline that starts at novice issues and progresses through advanced issues.

GB2

Old Member
It's in the referenced document for Windows OS and Adobe version CS-CS2:

4. Re-create the Illustrator preferences file.

Re-create the Illustrator preferences file to eliminate problems that a damaged preferences file might cause.

Note: When you re-create the preferences file, unsaved actions are lost. To save actions that you created, choose Save Actions from the Actions palette menu.

To re-create the Illustrator preferences file:

1. Quit Illustrator.

2. Rename the AIPrefs file (for example, to AIPrefs.old) located in Documents and Settings\[user profile] \Application Data\Adobe\Adobe Illustrator[version] Settings.

3. Start Illustrator. Illustrator creates a new preferences file.

If the problem continues, the preferences file isn't the cause. To restore custom settings, delete the new preferences file and restore the original name of the previous preferences file.

GB2

Old Member
Just beware that if you delete your preferences file, it brings the program basically back to default settings and you may have to set up little things the way you like them again. Also, whenever I do it I have to reconfigure my plotter since it loses those settings too. Not a big deal but something you have to be aware of or else you'll think that other things have now gone wrong.