• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Im New...Sublimation Advice Needed!!

bagdaddys

I am considering taking on sublimation as an option to creating logos on my product.....one problem....i dont know if it will work on my medium.

I currently hand paint my logos. Production is increasing and I am looking for a process that will save time and allow me to grow. My medium is 3/4" thick birch finish grade plywood. Will sublimation work on this?????

Everything I have read says that the medium must be "poly" based. If transfering directly to the plywood is not an option could I possibly apply a "poly" based clear coat to the surface and then sublimate??

Just exploring options....Im tired of the ol paint brush.

If seeing my product will help you better understand you can check them out at www.bagdaddys.com. I am also open to any other suggestions that might work in lieu of my current process.

Thank you all for you time and I look forward to your feedback

Mike_Koval

for sublimation to bond, it needs polyester and has to be white or in your case white behind any poly coating you would put on your plywood.

CES020

You'd probably want to look more into Color Laser Toner Transfer. For your needs, it would work better than the Dye Sublimation. On the Dye Sub, the material is special, on the CLTT, the paper is special, not the substrate.

bagdaddys

Looks like a job for a flatbed printer, they print directly on the substrate.

The only reason I havent moved foward with this is economics....although the option is still on the table.

I would need a machine that can handle 1" thick material that is 2 feet wide. I know the size of the product is not a problem but the size and price of the equipment is where I am having troubles now.

Any pointers on where to go to get more info on them?

bagdaddys

You'd probably want to look more into Color Laser Toner Transfer. For your needs, it would work better than the Dye Sublimation. On the Dye Sub, the material is special, on the CLTT, the paper is special, not the substrate.

Any pointers on where I can go to get more pointers on this process?

Brad Knight

I'd look at the Magic Touch http://www.themagictouch.com/ - you can use almost any color laser printer (the paper path does make a difference, but they have a list of the best printers on their site) regular toner, about any substrate, the only difference is the paper...

... You do need to be able to fit the substrate in a heat press though...